1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Very excited about Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Earthmover, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Well, I saw the pilot for Studio 60, and I must say, I have never been this excited about a show, probably ever. Great acting, cast, and script. And at least until Sorkin decides to leave the show two years later, you know it's going to be great. Anyone else excited about this show? The pilot was very very good.

2. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Big Sorkin fan - SportsNight is one of my all time faves and West Wing was great the seasons he wrote it.

I have class on Monday nights, but I'll be Tivo'ing the show.

3. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I turned into a West Wing faithfull. I will definately check it out. I actually kinda liked Greys Anatomy this last season
    as well.

4. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Big Sorkin fan - SportsNight is one of my all time faves and West Wing was great the seasons he wrote it.
    Well, the seasons he wrote it sober.

5. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

A-(MF)-men.

6. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

OK - I thought the first episode was great although it seemed too short. I wish it had been two hours.

Anyone else?

7. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

OK - I thought the first episode was great although it seemed too short. I wish it had been two hours.

Anyone else?

I already saw the pilot, and I was very excited about the potential it had. I didn't like the teasers for next week, though. They made it seem... goofy.

However, I have faith in the Sorkin/Schlamme team, and will be recorded for the entire season. I hope they had good ratings so that it stays on for a while.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ah, damn it, I missed it! [​IMG]

Jon.

9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

The promos for that show are not doing it any favors. Matthew Perry being unfunny, as only he knows how and D.L. Hughely doing "Pimp my Trike" [​IMG] seems like a bad SNL skit.

10. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

Ah, damn it, I missed it! [​IMG]

Jon.

if you have cable, I believe it'll be rerun on Bravo at 11pm on Wednesday and Sunday.

11. Saucemaster

The promos for that show are not doing it any favors. Matthew Perry being unfunny, as only he knows how and D.L. Hughely doing "Pimp my Trike" [​IMG] seems like a bad SNL skit.

Yeah, it doesn't look as if NBC has any clue how to promote a Sorkin show, but then, what's new? Anyway, the pilot was great. Sorkin back on TV--gave me warm fuzzies. Made my night.

12. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

It seemed pretty stale to me. Rehashed "let's have a witty conversation while walking through the hallway" crap from the West Wing. I made it through about 3/4 of the show and then gave up.

13. Saucemaster

Genuinely witty and clever dialogue is rare. I'll take it in whatever form I can get it.

14. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Genuinely witty and clever dialogue is rare. I'll take it in whatever form I can get it.

More and more I am prefering to get mine from real life rather than TV.

Or from Styleforum. [​IMG]

15. koobalicious

koobalicious Well-Known Member

i am really psyched about this show! i am a diehard west wing fan (both sorkin and non-sorkin phases) and its great to see that same snappy dialogue in studio 60. though i kept thinking all of the characters as the west wing characters haha (yes i ahve a problem). i really like amanda peet's character and hope they give her a lot of depth and complexity as the show develops.

16. Saucemaster

though i kept thinking all of the characters as the west wing characters haha (yes i ahve a problem).

Actually, w/r/t Bradley Whitford specifically, I think the problem is with both the writing and acting. He still seems an awful lot like Josh. Eventually it'll sink in that he's not, but I don't think it's your problem.

17. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Good episode again last night.

I especially enjoyed the line by Matthew Perry where he told the writers to dress better and said "We decide what cool is and I've decided it's no longer cool for grown men to dress like they're in junior high school."

I actually find Bradley Whitford's character to be pretty distinctive from Josh in the West Wing and I definitely think Perry has done a good job getting away from Chandler.

I also like the fact that, as opposed to SportsNight or The West Wing, Sorkin actually has the budget now to put his ideas on screen. On the previous shows they would have cut to black right as the credits for the show went up on screen and next week they would have talked about how great the opening Gilbert & Sullivan scene was, but we would have never actually seen it.

Now, Sorkin has enough pull and a big enough budget that they were actually able to bring an orchestra, chorus and perform the opening sketch. Nice!

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Good episode again last night.

I especially enjoyed the line by Matthew Perry where he told the writers to dress better and said "We decide what cool is and I've decided it's no longer cool for grown men to dress like they're in junior high school."

I actually find Bradley Whitford's character to be pretty distinctive from Josh in the West Wing and I definitely think Perry has done a good job getting away from Chandler.

I also like the fact that, as opposed to SportsNight or The West Wing, Sorkin actually has the budget now to put his ideas on screen. On the previous shows they would have cut to black right as the credits for the show went up on screen and next week they would have talked about how great the opening Gilbert & Sullivan scene was, but we would have never actually seen it.

Now, Sorkin has enough pull and a big enough budget that they were actually able to bring an orchestra, chorus and perform the opening sketch. Nice!

Last night was great until the parody of "˜I am the very model of a modern major general', which personally, I thought was rather weak.

Making Whitford into a coke-head was probably the best way to differentiate him from his WW character.

Jon.

19. Saucemaster

I liked when he said, "I couldn't believe I was saying it, but apparently I feel very strongly about it." [​IMG]

I'm wondering how much of the show-within-the-show they're going to... uh... show. It runs a certain narrative risk, in that if the narrative hinges on a certain sketch being funny, and it's not particularly funny when we (the real life audience) see it, it taxes our suspension of disbelief. I think the occasional sketch is all we'll really see.

Amanda Peet is still the most impressive cast member in my book, possibly because she was the one I was most worried about being able to pull of a Sorkin character.

And did anyone else find Felicity Huffman's presence (as herself) in the pilot kind of sad? For one thing, it made me want her back in a Sorkin show and off Desperate Housewives (which, in the interests of full disclosure, I've never seen). For another, I was hoping for an occasional cameo from Sports Night characters. It would be great if Danny or Natalie (!) showed up for an episode or two. And it would be the easiest way to write Joshua Malina into the show, which we all know will happen at some point.... [​IMG]

20. koobalicious

koobalicious Well-Known Member

yes we'll have to see if i ever snap out of the WW character nostalgia or if the actors successfully transition themselves. i really liked matthew perry's character when he was on WW and wanted to see more of him and am looking forward to seeing more of that and less of chandler. his girlfriend kind of bugs me though - harriet - i hope they show some real segments of the cast members doing the sketches b/c it'll be interesting to see how they transition from playing an actor on Studio to playing an actor playing a character (too complicated?).

p.s. that clock in the office would drive me INSANE!