• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Very early NFL draft projections

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since the draft order isn't even set, this is way early, but just for fun
smile.gif
Draft order is set by me, with games predicted through the playoffs. Underclassmen are projected to go in the draft if it's likely they will go in the first round. 1. \tSan Francisco \t2-14 Matt Leinart, QB USC Need at QB make this choice a no-brainer. SF can sign some very capable RBs on the open market, with Alexander and James potentially available. Leinart is a perfect fit for the West Coast offense, very similar to Steve Young. 2. \tMiami \t4-12 Alex Smith, QB Utah Another team that needs a franchise QB, as Feeley was a big mistake. Smith will bring toughness to a franchise that will thrive on it. They may bring in Kurt Warner as a short term solution, and will definitely be in on the Edgerrin sweepstakes unless the Colts lock him up quickly. 3. \tCleveland \t4-12 Aaron Rodgers, QB Cal Could this be another year of the three consecutive QBs picked in the first round? Rodgers brings a bit less athleticism than Boller but alot more football intelligence. It's patently obvious that neither Holcomb or Garcia are long term solutions and neither is Luke McCown. 4. \tChicago \t5-11 Mike Williams, WR, USC David Terrell is not the answer, and Chicago's biggest weakness is playmakers at the WR position. With Grossman back in 2005, a solid receiving target may be just what he needs to thrive, as Thomas Jones is a pretty good option in the backfield. 5. \tTampa Bay \t5-11 Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin With Simms and Griese at QB and Pittman doing a pretty good job at RB, Tampa needs to improve their pass rush, the loss of Warren Sapp was greater than expected. James is perhaps the best defensive end on the board. 6. \tTennessee \t5-11 Antrell Rolle, CB Miami The perfect complement to replace the likely departing Andre Dyson, Antrell can play opposite his brother and they can shut down receivers together. 7. \tOakland \t5-11 Ronnie Brown, RB Auburn Is this the year that the Raiders finally take a franchise running back? Could be...Tyrone Wheatley is certainly not the answer and it doesn't appear that Fargas is, either. 8. \tArizona \t6-10 Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn Back to back running back picks? Emmitt Smith is just about done, and Shipp plain sucks, who else is there in Arizona? 9. \tWashington \t6-10 Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan Lots of needs, but the pick will probably be at QB or WR, and if Washington doesn't trade up, Edwards is the best WR left on the board after Williams. 10. \tDetroit \t6-10 Dan Cody, DT Oklahoma Detroit would be tempted to pick a QB, but I think they will give Joey one more year to prove himself before they cut him loose. A big run-stopping DT that can rush the passer is essential. 11. \tDallas \t6-10 Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas Johnson may be the best player on the board at any position. 12. \tSan Diego (from Giants) \t6-10 Matt Roth, DE Iowa The Giants really *********** Chargers over with Barber's TD as time expired, as this would have been the 7th overall pick if Barber had been stopped short. As it is, the Chargers will address their defense and pick up an outstanding pass rusher in Roth. 13. \tHouston \t7-9 David Pollack, DE Georgia Houston needs help up front, a pass rusher is key, and Pollack has a great motor, good size, and great speed, even if he isn't as athletic as James or Roth. 14. \tCarolina \t7-9 Alex Barron, OT Florida State Carolina needs help protecting Delhomme, and with many starters returning from injury, Barron can play opposite Jordan Gross for a decade or more. 15. \tKansas City \t7-9 Travis Johnson, DT Florida State Johnson slides to 15, where the Chiefs absolutely need to pick defensive players as they have been run over for years. 16. \tNew Orleans \t8-8 Marcus Spears, DE LSU A local boy, who will help Charles Grant improve the New Orleans defense, one of the worst in the league in 2004. 17. \tCincinnati \t8-8 Marlin Jackson, CB Michigan Deltha O'Neal is not the answer. 18. \tMinnesota\t8-9 Roderique Wright, DT Texas Needing to go defense, they will get stronger up front. 19. \tSeattle \t9-8 Cedric Benson, RB Texas Wave goodbye to Shawn... 20. \tDallas (from Buffalo) \t9-7 Kyle Orton, QB, Purdue A stronger-armed version of Drew Brees. 21. \tJacksonville \t9-7 Jamaal Brown, OT, Oklahoma Leftwich is getting hit on every play, he needs protection, and Brown is one of the best bodyguards in the NCAA. 22. \tBaltimore \t9-7 Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma Clayton is similar to Michael Clayton from last year, a great possession receiver with pretty good speed. He will have a similar effect to Clayton in TB, and give Jamal a bit more room as Boller develops. Baltimore would like to trade up to get Edwards or Williams also. 23. \tSt. Louis \t9-8 Ahmad Brooks, LB Virginia St Louis needs to get better on defense, and Brooks will help the Rams defense stiffen up when necessary. They are pretty strong up front due to the 3 DTs they signed in 2001. 24. \tDenver \t 10-7 Michael Munoz, OT, Tennessee In name value alone, he brings alot to the table, but Munoz is a great blocker as well. 25. \tN.Y. Jets \t10-7 Dan Buenning, OG, Wisconsin A great guard that has blocked for one of the best rushing offenses in the country. 26. \tAtlanta \t11-6 Craphonso Thrope, WR Florida State All jokes about his name nonwithstanding, FSU has turned out some good WRs in past years, and Atlanta desperately needs someone to stretch the field for Vick. 27. \tSan Diego \t12-5 Matthias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College A pure pass rusher that will help San Diego improve their already great defense even more. 28. \tIndianapolis 12-5 Shawn Cody, DT, USC Indianapolis needs some lumber in the middle of that line, and Reagor isn't the answer. 29. \tPhiladelphia \t13-4 Deangelo Williams, RB, Memphis A strong, powerful runner, Williams will be a great complement to Westbrook as it doesn't seem like Buckhalter can stay healthy. 30. \tPittsburgh \t15-2 Antajj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin Underperformed a bit in 2004 but was slowed by injury, Hawthorne looked like a top 5 pick in 2003, and will be a great tackle in the NFL. 31. \tGreen Bay \t13-7 Andrew Walter, QB Arizona State GB needs a long term solution at QB, and Walter is it. 32. \tNew England 17-2 Corey Webster, CB, LSU One of the best corners in the draft, Pioli and Belichick work their magic again.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You think Rodgers will be the third QB picked?  He outplayed Leinart in their head-to-head matchup and is a Bay Area guy.

Also, I thought Williams was the more highly regarded of the Auburn RBs.

Agree with the pick of Braylon Edwards for the Skins (both who they will pick and who they should pick).  Unfortunately, Washington has a long and sorry history of picking WRs in the first round that don't pan out (see Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rodgers isn't as good a fit as Leinart in the West Coast Offense, he's better for an offense like the Rams.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rodgers isn't as good a fit as Leinart in the West Coast Offense, he's better for an offense like the Rams.
That's true, but how difficult can it be to teach someone how to throw 10-yard outs, slant patterns, and screen passes?

SF's unwillingness to pay large salaries got them into their predicament, so I can't imagine they would be too keen on spending a lot on a #1 pick or a high-priced, free-agent RB.  I can see them trading the #1 pick away for a lower first-round pick, additional draft choices, and players.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF has no coach, no GM, neither Walsh nor any of his people on staff, and mediocre players. Thus, there's no reason to believe York would maintain a West Coast offense, unless he decides to hire a coaching staff that intends to use it. I could see him going in a totally different direction just to remind everyone that it's his team now, not Eddie DeBartolo's.

I think that the order of QB picks in particular depend a lot on the combine interviews and individual (non-combine) workouts. Remember, a lot of football people thought Ryan Leaf had a greater upside than Peyton Manning, and Leaf was rated higher on many if not most mock drafts. The Colts clearly saw something that made them prefer Manning, and boy did they make the right decision there.

As a Cal guy, I'm a Rodgers partisan, but the significant dropoff he experienced after the SC game, and his terrible bowl game, could really hurt him. Sure, his incompletions were throwing to 2nd string receivers, but he was under- and overthrowing them. I think Leinart may well go earlier than Rodgers.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,06 Jan. 2005, 3:55
That's true, but how difficult can it be to teach someone how to throw 10-yard outs, slant patterns, and screen passes? SF's unwillingness to pay large salaries got them into their predicament, so I can't imagine they would be too keen on spending a lot on a #1 pick or a high-priced, free-agent RB. I can see them trading the #1 pick away for a lower first-round pick, additional draft choices, and players.
I dunno, why don't you ask Michael Vick how hard it is to run the WCO? I don't think SF wants another 2-14 season. They just spent $10M to buy out the contracts of Donahue and Erickson, obviously that is a commitment to winning. I don't think they need to trade down this year, they need a franchise QB, and Rattay isn't it. This is patently obvious and any football person they bring in to the GM position will address that need. SF wasn't not paying large salaries out of stinginess, it was because they were in salary cap trouble due to prior dead money on the books. They are mostly out of that trouble now, and if they can address the issue with Julian Peterson they will be in pretty good shape.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SF has no coach, no GM, neither Walsh nor any of his people on staff, and mediocre players. Thus, there's no reason to believe York would maintain a West Coast offense, unless he decides to hire a coaching staff that intends to use it. I could see him going in a totally different direction just to remind everyone that it's his team now, not Eddie DeBartolo's.

I think that the order of QB picks in particular depend a lot on the combine interviews and individual (non-combine) workouts. Remember, a lot of football people thought Ryan Leaf had a greater upside than Peyton Manning, and Leaf was rated higher on many if not most mock drafts. The Colts clearly saw something that made them prefer Manning, and boy did they make the right decision there.

As a Cal guy, I'm a Rodgers partisan, but the significant dropoff he experienced after the SC game, and his terrible bowl game, could really hurt him. Sure, his incompletions were throwing to 2nd string receivers, but he was under- and overthrowing them. I think Leinart may well go earlier than Rodgers.
Leinart just won a second straight national championship and made every throw. Of course the combine and workouts will be important, but he is a natural, perfect fit for that environment. The coach will be important, but we'll see what happens. I have a suspicion that he will go #1 regardless of who takes him.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think the Seahawks desperately need to trade for a wide reciever who can catch the ball...

or an excellent pass rushing DE

or a massive run stopping tackle who can fly, become invisible, and crap fireballs.

I am really tired of losing to the rams.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Seahawks desperately need to trade for a wide reciever who can catch the ball...

or an excellent pass rushing DE

or a massive run stopping tackle who can fly, become invisible, and crap fireballs.

I am really tired of losing to the rams.
I don't have a thesaurus handy, but I think that one of the antonyms for "clutch" is "Engram"

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Slim:

Let me be the first to say it...

Holmgren's gotta go...

Buck stops at the top.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
(Tokyo Slim @ 08 Jan. 2005, 5:26) I think the Seahawks desperately need to trade for a wide reciever who can catch the ball... or an excellent pass rushing DE or a massive run stopping tackle who can fly, become invisible, and crap fireballs. I am really tired of losing to the rams.
I don't have a thesaurus handy, but I think that one of the antonyms for "clutch" is "Engram"
...Yeah, except for letting THE TYING TOUCHDOWN PASS fly through your hands with one second left in the friggin game. And Steve, I doubt that Holmgren is gonna get the axe. There aren't any head coaches available out there to replace him who are even half as good. I don't think we are desperate enough yet to hire a coordinator or a college coach and *hope* that he knows what he's doing. Maybe if we could lure Steve Mariucci away from the Lions, or John Gruden away from the Buc's it might be a winning move, but as of right now, it would hurt the team more than it would help to can Holmgren. BUT - I think we should trade Koren Robinson and maybe our second or third round pick to the Browns or Bears. Then we should pick up Mike Williams. I think the kid is gonna be huge, especially if he's not the only target on the field (like he would be in Chicago) People forget how damn good he really is because they haven't seen him play in over a year - but let me remind you. I almost promise that he would have gone SECOND last year, right after Eli Manning, in a draft FLUSH with outstanding wideouts. I hear he has been keeping a very intense training regimen this year to stay in shape, and he will be incredibly hungry to play football next year.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holmgren will probably go, right to the 49ers...

TheRookie

Reaction score
I agree with Tokyo Slim - Mike Williams is going to be a very good NFL receiver. It seems that he's stayed motivated after getting screwed over by the NCAA and should arrive in shape and ready to shine next fall.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Great list, btw)

Speaking as a Chiefs fan, I don't see them picking up a defensive tackle, they need help at linebacker and secondary. DJ Johnson or Antre Rolle would be ideal (although they'd obviously have to move up to grab either one) otherwise if they stay pat, pick up that corner from Michigan.

koji

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim:

Let me be the first to say it...

Holmgren's gotta go...

Buck stops at the top.
How many playoff games has Holmgren won without Bret Favre?
How many playoff games has Shanahan won without Elway?

koji

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads