• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

very dry skin on my back and hips

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions? This seems to be a winter problem. I'm shedding skin like a snake though.... it's pretty bad. Should I take a bath in oil a couple times a week or is there a body wash that would be really good for this?

And do you think a humidifier would help with the root cause? My building has the old-school hot water heating so and when it's on, it's on hot, and I'm wondering if that doesn't contribute to the problem.

vanity

Reaction score
I'm like that too in the winter. You've got to put on lotion right after you shower, just like chicks do. It'll really keep you moisturized.

The caveat is you'll notice your shower time takes approximately 800x longer. Just wait until you start rubbing lotion onto your stomach and legs. Anywhere with hair takes FOREVER to get that rubbed in. Which is why I decided being itchy and dry is better. And I can't stand the feeling of lotion on my body....the way your clothes stick to you and stuff. Yuck.

*I have a humidifier. I'm still dry and itchy. Post-shower lotion is your only remedy. If you bathe in hot oil, you'll just break-out like crazy.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't use too much hot water in your shower -- that contributes to drying your skin out. I've also heard you should be careful to pat yourself dry with a towel, as opposed to rubbing, but I've never been patient enough to do that on a regular basis. Plus it feels so girly. Also, heating systems can take a toll on your skin overnight -- a humidifier would probably help. I've also found it helps to keep a bottle of water on my nightstand and chug a couple times during the night.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the first winter that I have this problem. I resolve it in one day by buying and then using Dove Sensitive skin liquid soap. I have chosen Sensitive skin due to its law fragrance quality.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
The tips to apply moisturizer immediately after showering and to avoid super-hot water and overly fragrant lotions are all great.

If you have trouble reaching your back to apply lotion, there are a few moisturizers in spray form out there.

WSW

Reaction score
It might also be eckzema. Then, you'll need a cream.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Consider getting a better soap. I'm sure you'd get tons of different recommendations if you asked. You might luck out and not have to get lotion at all.

I like Savon de Marseille now. It really does stand out from the other olive oil soaps. That, and a good hand lotion (like C&E) for the backs of my hands are all I need. Then again, I do live in TX.

If your ass is in Maine or something all I can say is, good luck.

fatty

Reaction score
ego QV lotion = best for dry skin and exchema

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some suggestions: The best lotion I've had the pleasure of using is called "Skin Care" by InfiniteAloe. It contains Aloe Barbadensis Miller, which out of all 327 varieties of Aloe, can lay claim to being the most potent and effecitve choice. It's the same Aloe used in burn centres around the world. The lotion can absorb into the skin up to 7 layers, making it a truelly superior moisterizer. The lotion also boast other benefits such as being analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, anti-infalmmatory, and antiseptic. More info can be had on their website http://www.infinitealoe.com/ or by phone, 1-888-588-2563. You might also consider purchasing a flax seed oil supplement. Although I've never used it, both my parents have found that it has helped their skin considerably.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
buy a humidifier
drink lots of water to help keep you hydrated
take warm not hot showers
use a body moisturizer right after you get out of the shower while your skin is still damp

as mentioned above, eucerin is a good inexpensive solution; keihl's creme de corps or deluxe hand and body lotion with aloe vera and oatmeal pour homme are also good choices; brave soldier makes a good body lotion that absorbs well

if your skin is really really flaky, you may want to use a mild body scrub (anthony logistics sea salt body scrub or korres grape seed body scrub) just to get rid of all the at surface flakiness, but only do this once or once a week at most and use a thick layer of moisturizer afterwards

best of luck to you

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to the advice about water temperature, moisturizer, and diet, you could occasionally use a body wash with mild exfoliating properties. Aqua Glycolic makes such a product. If you do all that and the problem persists, then see a dermatologist and consider a humidifier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads