1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Very conservative summer suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Scuttlebutt, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Senior member

I'm a pretty skinny Irish (pale) guy. Looking for a summer suit, but not sure what color and material to get. I know I can't do khaki because of my skin color. It has to be conservative--think something I can wear to court. Something like these from BB? Any OTR suggestions in about the $6-800 range? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

You need to look at navy or dark grey/charcoal suits, in light weigh cloths.

3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Yes (as in "tropical weight wool"), and also a roomier cut with padded shoulders (not the first two pictures). The roominess also helps in hot weather. Size and approximate location should be given when seeking specific recommendations.

4. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

I'm looking for exactly the same - but where the hell can you find tropical weight wools off the rack?

I've scoured the web for them but can't find any place that carries it. Everyone simply goes with linen, or a wool/linen, cotton/linen blend.

5. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Senior member

Funny enough, I just bought the opposite of the call of this thread: a J Crew Fctory seersucker suit for a wedding this summer (I live in Boston). Should be fun.

I'd also be looking for an unlined jacket. But I agree, impossible to find OTR.

6. kulata

kulata Senior member

He said he is pretty skinny and you have no clue what his shoulders look like and you recommend a boxy suit with padded shoulders like those middle managers I run into at the airport. Smh

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

This - the lighter colours of the suits you have pictured are not incredibly formal.

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

Light grey surely not a court colour even in Ireland?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  9. D Pantinella

D Pantinella New Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned suitsupply - but I too am curious if people have any other suggestions in that price range. Suitsupply is mostly out of stock of my size, which I'm imagining is an issue for most people as well.

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Typical Style Forum manners. The only recommendation was not to have the shoulders look like they do on the first two suits pictured. Broad shoulders are more authoritative, which is the norm in court. It's an assumption that he's not one of the few "skinny" men who are wide at the shoulders.