Versatility of Black Knit Tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirJamesWinston, Apr 19, 2014.

1. SirJamesWinston

SirJamesWinston Well-Known Member

I have several knits: a black silk knit, a navy silk knit, a red (wish it was burgundy) silk knit, a brown wool knit, and a burgundy wool knit. I am struggling with how to wear the black knit other than with black shoes; especially because the only black shoes I currently have are oxfords and thus for suits. I am having trouble finding a combination that does not require black shoes, and where a black is better than a navy. Currently I have a pair of mid brown bluchers and a pair of burgundy loafers to wear with odd jackets, and the other ties get chosen every time over black.

If you don't have black non-oxfords, how would you wear your black knit with an odd jacket?

2. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Black knit is perhaps relatively more useful with a blue shirt than a white shirt, so you still have a little color. Black and white may be stark, depending on your complexion. But wear what works for you.

3. SirJamesWinston

I will only wear a black knit with a white shirt and suit to a funeral.

[​IMG]

Black knit and UBD white shirt for attending funerals. Black grenadine, white shirt, and probably a charcoal suit for officiating funerals (in the future).

I like the black knit with white look, but I also like saving certain combinations for certain occasions. For example, I have an $85 (expensive for me) Kent Wang black and white shepherd's check, that I will only wear for attending and officiating weddings.

A light blue or patterned shirt seems ideal to wear the black knit more causally (with a suit and black oxfords), or with a white or blue OCBD and odd jackets. The question is should I hold off on wearing the black knit with odd jackets until I get a pair of more casual black shoes: bluchers, loafers etc. A black knit with brown shoes seems off, and a navy knit seems to be more of a natural, if not the perfect, pairing with burgundy.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014

4. wojt

wojt Senior member

Wasn't the whole versality talk about black grenadine not black knits? Because grenadine seems hella more versatile to me.

5. SirJamesWinston

Perhaps, but I like (for now) Manton's rule/statement about reserving grenadines for suits. So in my case, a silk knit is more versatile as I can wear it with suits and odd jackets. Similarly, I tend to reserve repp/regimental ties for blazers, even over knits, especially as my blazer has those bold brass buttons that need something strong to complement, like a striped tie.

6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I think there are plenty of folks who respectfully disagree with the notion that grenadines, particularly in grossa and solid, may only be worn with suits.

The color black, though, does present it's challenges. I never wear mine with odd jackets because of the shoe pairing quandary discussed above.

I remain convinced solid black - knit or grenadine - is a useful tie, and an essential tie in even a small collection. But, I don't find them particularly "versitile." I readily admit I have no black shoes that aren't oxfords (and have to wish to acquire any).

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Unless you wear exclusively brown ties with your brown shoes, I can't see why you'd suddenly need to match your tie and shoes ever.

Bengal stripe OCBD + black knit = goes with most anything. Don't overthink this stuff.

8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Here's two ways I've worn mine:

The first works well because navy would be too much color for this jacket (forgive my terrible posture in the picture), while the second works because it's a contrast with the navy jacket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SirJamesWinston

Top works because of the yellow. I still think a dark navy would look better. Also, wouldn't it look more off if it was a blue or white OCBD?

And:
    I just got a blue university stripe OCBD. My understanding is that Bengal stripes are wider, but the Bengal OCBDs I have seen look like a darker/richer university stripe (same width). Suggestion for wider Bengal OCBD?

10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I don't match tie and shoes. But, I don't happen to wear a solid black tie with anything other than black shoes. I'm inching considering wearing a black tie with burgundy shell but be patient with me. :)

11. comrade

comrade Senior member