Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Versatility of a Belstaff Jacket and Question on fit (pics included)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teddieriley, Oct 2, 2009.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Question on fit added to OP.

2. flatfront

flatfront Senior member

For fit I would go with no1. I too would not tie the belt. Great jackets though and I am sure you will get a lot of use out of it.

3. hangten

hangten Senior member

For fit, I pic #2. I was in the same boat when I recently bought my Belstaff Panther. I went with the more fitted size and have not looked back. I can't wear a jacket underneath but I can fit a non-bulky sweater. FYI, I am a 44R and I bought an M.

4. teddieriley

For fit, I pic #2. I was in the same boat when I recently bought my Belstaff Panther. I went with the more fitted size and have not looked back. I can't wear a jacket underneath but I can fit a non-bulky sweater. FYI, I am a 44R and I bought an M.

A medium? Are you sure you're even a 44R to begin with? I hear the Panther runs pretty slim in the first place. I don't even think I can get a M across my shoulders and I'm more of a 42-43R!

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I was wondering about that too.
    I'm a 44 and I tried on an XL which felt a bit snug.

6. hangten

hangten Senior member

A medium? Are you sure you're even a 44R to begin with? I hear the Panther runs pretty slim in the first place. I don't even think I can get a M across my shoulders and I'm more of a 42-43R!

Yep suprised the hell out of me! I wear a 44R as I have a 44.5 chest and 19 shoulders. I thought I was going to be at least an L but when I tried the panther in M in fit me how I wanted. The shoulders fit perfectly for me. My salesperson actually told me that the panthers fit large which is the opposite of what I read in this forum. I bought mine from George Greene in Chicago so I know that the coat is not a one off. I'll try to get a pic up today so that you can see the fit.

7. hangten

hangten Senior member

Here are some quick pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. potter AB

potter AB Well-Known Member

+1
    As it is a motorcycle jacket, the fit should be rather tight. It has not been designed to have a jacket underneath.

9. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

Definitely #2. Bike jacket should be snug. Length looks fine, but maybe need to check that on the bike. Oilskin is outdoors only - It's not like a leather jacket in that regard.

I am sure they are high quality, but like with any oilskin be careful not to leave it sitting wet after use - the cotton outer may shrink if it's left waterlogged. Then the lining becomes too long, and wicks up water into the sleeves and up the back. Nice.

10. redmania

redmania Senior member

Nice panther jacket. I am after one myself. Just looking for somewhere decent online to procure.

11. teddieriley

Thanks guys. Jacket looks good Hangten. Good slim fit, but you aren't restricted when you raise your arms or reach forward (like when driving)?

I should probably point out I don't ride a motorcycle and have not ever, so the utility of this jacket as one would probably be lost on me. I just like the styling.

It wasn't clear to me whether this style of jacket should be looser, generally, as outerwear so that I could layer more, or be more slim fitting. But looks like it should be slimmer.

12. hangten

hangten Senior member

Thanks guys. Jacket looks good Hangten. Good slim fit, but you aren't restricted when you raise your arms or reach forward (like when driving)?

I should probably point out I don't ride a motorcycle and have not ever, so the utility of this jacket as one would probably be lost on me. I just like the styling.

It wasn't clear to me whether this style of jacket should be looser, generally, as outerwear so that I could layer more, or be more slim fitting. But looks like it should be slimmer.

The jacket is not restrictive at all partially due to the high armholes. I drive pretty aggresive too (one of my cars is an Evo 8). If the jacket fits in the chest, I think you should focus on the fit of the shoulders and sleeves as that can make or break the look. You might want to try a Medium [​IMG]

13. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

It fits well, I would not consider it very versatile. It borderlines chick coat and is a bit bold to be worn with too much.

14. acconrad

acconrad Senior member

baaah i want a belstaff panther so bad but i can't afford it!

15. jsg28

jsg28 Senior member

I am in the same boat. I wear a 42 jacket and am between a L and XL. I'll probably stick with the large and limit my layers. What did you decide?