• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatility of a Belstaff Jacket and Question on fit (pics included)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below was my original message, and I'm on the fence between the two sizes. I think I would fit perfectly in between, but have to choose with the more fitted look and the looser one. With the fitted jacket, best I can do is get a couple of layers underneath with a non-chunky sweater. The arm holes are quite high and the sleeves are slim. If I go one size up one, I can actually get a suit jacket underneath with slight room to spare, meaning bigger all over. I don't intend to wear over a suit often, if at all. It's as if one size up is equivalent to two for whatever reason. Both are comfortable in their own way. So should it be "1" or "2"?

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

I've been on a mission to find a versatile field-type jacket, something to wear both casually, and if necessary in a business casual context when I don't feel like wearing a sportcoat (appropriate with office pants and dress shirt). I've always been interested in Belstaff jackets, but have been on the fence on whether it is worth the cost.

The one I'm interested in pulling the trigger on is a black, wax cotton Roadmaster. I'm wondering based on color and styling, whether this would be versatile enough for both dressier and casual occasions. I would prefer the jacket in a navy, but Belstaff being hard to come by in the U.S., I'm limited in color choices. I'm wondering if overall, this is more of a motorcycle only or back country-type wear. Running about $600, so a bit pricey for something that is relegated to an occasional wear-only jacket. I'd want to be able to wear the hell out of it.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Barbour International is an alternative to the Belstaff at a slightly lower price. I don't really see this or a Roadmaster style jacket as being dressy. They look good with jeans, khakis, and other casual pants, but I'm not sure I could pull off the look with dress pants. With that said, my fiance wore her International today with heels, black tights, gray skirt, and solid color top, basically the female version of business casual. I thought it looked pretty stylish. And the Belstaff models on their web site can pull it off.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fell in love with the Trialmaster that was mentioned in the 07 or 08 BBB by Esquire. I think they mentioned it was the identical one that Steve Mcqueen wore or something. I am not an expert on those coats at all and I got hung up a bit understanding that there is a Trailmaster and Trailmaster model, from what I can recall.

Nice either way. And yes, if I bought one, I'd wear the hell out of it. But I'm not too tempted with the thought of having to buy a crusty one on eBay, since they are hard to find in larger sizes.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would treat the Belstaff jacket as typical outerwear, but I am wondering whether style wise, it has the versatility to substitute for a sportcoat, particularly for days I am wandering a city during cold or drizzly weather (whether NYC, SF, Europe). For example, could I rock the Belstaff with odd trousers, dress shoes and dress pants (without having to remove it indoors) and not look like those guys that throw on a North Face nylon hooded jacket over their work clothes? Or does the styling - 4 front pockets, waist belt and wax cotton material - all work against what I'm looking for in this sort of jacket?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would think of it sort of like a leather motorcycle jacket (a real-ish one, not e.g. a moto-styled lambskin jacket), since it is actually a motorcycle jacket. I wouldn't wear it with delicate fabrics (lightweight worsteds) or shoes (e.g. single soled oxfords/loafers) but pair it with more outdoor-believable clothing and it should look fine. I have one made of nylon (XL500 Trialmaster) and I wear it a lot with jeans and a sweater, that sort of thing, but even with a waxed cotton one I wouldn't wear it with actual dress shoes or lightweight dress pants, etc. It's a somewhat rugged jacket, so keep that in mind when considering what to pair it with.

BTW I've been trolling ebay for a while looking for a decent deal on a vintage waxed cotton example, and there are usually (such as right now) a few in the size 46-ish/XL size range.

emptym

Reaction score
Why no nylon, G? I have a nylon RLX imitation of the Belstaff that I wear daily over a coat and tie. I think it looks great. The model is a few years old, but each year RL has put out similar versions. This year BL has two or three. Of all the ones I've seen though, my RLX version, called "monza," has been the nicest. It's made of a very durable ballistic nylon and isn't very gimmicky other than some fancy snaps that help it look good w/ relatively formal clothes. It's also highly water-resistant, possibly even waterproof. I've worn it for over a half hour while riding in a downpour and have remained totally dry. There's a pic or two of me wearing it in different threads, including the recent one on my new Sargent shoes.

I also have an old jacket from LL Bean that's very similar. Other than the fact that it's made of a nice soft microfiber, the biggest differences are that there's no chest pockets, no neck strap, and an internal drawcord.

Rohan, a British travel company, made a neat jacket that's a cross between the Belstaff and the LL Bean, in tan or black.

chroMe

Reaction score
I've drooled many a time at the Conduit shop in London. Here's one you may like and they ship worldwide: belstaff

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
For example, could I rock the Belstaff with odd trousers, dress shoes and dress pants (without having to remove it indoors) and not look like those guys that throw on a North Face nylon hooded jacket over their work clothes?

I think this would look very silly. It's outerwear. You could potentially wear it while outside with such dress, like the picture below from the Belstaff web site, but I think that takes some real effort and a very particular look to pull off.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it could look cool with casual clothing, but would appear too costumey with more business casual dress.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went to Barneys to try the jacket on, and it definitely looks great with jeans. In black, I think the jacket can certainly be pulled off with grey office pants and less formal dress shoes like brown monks or tan wing tips. Not a conservative dress look, but nice enough. My problem is with the sizing - L is a bit slim and XL feels big without cinching the waist with the belt. Not sure which direction I should go.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They don't have numbered sizes? Size to XL and tie the belt behind the back (I would never buckle it, personally). It should have room to layer underneath - after all it is outerwear.

Firstladyofsong

Reaction score
No experience with Belstaff jacket but I would've thought Loro Piana would be an obvious choice.

chroMe

Reaction score
found a video from my used to be local scooter shop in Parsons Green featuring the belstaff tourist trophy jacket: urban rider - this shop also incidently sells the coveted ltd edition givvi anniversary white/gold helmet which will compliment my vespa gts300 in blanco next spring.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Firstladyofsong
No experience with Belstaff jacket but I would've thought Loro Piana would be an obvious choice.
???

pinchi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I don't really see this or a Roadmaster style jacket as being dressy. They look good with jeans, khakis, and other casual pants, but I'm not sure I could pull off the look with dress pants. With that said, my fiance wore her International today with heels, black tights, gray skirt, and solid color top, basically the female version of business casual. I thought it looked pretty stylish. And the Belstaff models on their web site can pull it off.

I´ve seen many sharp Europeans wearing Belstaff Roadmasters with suits. At least, that was the case last winter when I was in Madrid. In fact, it was THE cool jacket to wear last winter, so maybe it will be something different this time around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads