• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile Suits!!! Need Help!!!

raven37457

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and hope you guys and gals can help me out. I have been growing my casual wardrobe (loomstate, agave, corpus, crate, b.son, patagonia, barbour, etc) because my employer is flexible with their dress code. However, because of this, my professional wardrobe has been neglected!

I do not like to wear suits or dress clothing but I am looking to put that pet peeve of mine aside. I want to purchase two versatile suits (grey and black?) which could be worn for business and pleasure but do not know where to start! My price point is between USD500-USD800 per suit. I am also and advocate of made in the USA and organic clothing. Most importantly, I want something comfortable! FYI, I just purchased some Giorgenti custom made dress shirts and was very pleased.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the Men's Clothing subforum. This is Streetwear and Denim, after all.

That said, Thick as Thieves LA. http://thickasthievesla.com

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grey and black? charcoal and navy
smile.gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ Thick as thieves

You can choose depending on what you want to drop.
I carry Band of outsiders and shiply and Halmos
BoO - around 2,000.00
S&H - under 600.00

it's up to you.

raven37457

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Try the Men's Clothing subforum. This is Streetwear and Denim, after all.

That said, Thick as Thieves LA. http://thickasthievesla.com

Sorry, did not know which would be more suitable for the post. Are Thick as Thieves LA highly recommended?

raven37457

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
^^^ Thick as thieves

You can choose depending on what you want to drop.
I carry Band of outsiders and shiply and Halmos
BoO - around 2,000.00
S&H - under 600.00

it's up to you.

not familiar with S&H is there any photos I can view? Once again, I thank everyone for their response and pardon my ignorance about the subject.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, highly recommended. MTM suits for about $500 -- since you've had custom shirts made I imagine you'd be fine with this. The owner is a member here, Get Smart. Do a search, you'll find a thread all about the brand on this subforum.

Regarding Shipley and Halmos, check out the websites for retail affiliates Farinelli's (Mauro is the owner) and Context Clothing. You can find their links at the top of this subforum.

raven37457

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Yes, highly recommended. MTM suits for about $500 -- since you've had custom shirts made I imagine you'd be fine with this. The owner is a member here, Get Smart. Do a search, you'll find a thread all about the brand on this subforum.

Regarding Shipley and Halmos, check out the websites for retail affiliates Farinelli's (Mauro is the owner) and Context Clothing. You can find their links at the top of this subforum.

Awesome, I will start here and yes the custom made shirts came out perfect. I was very happy since I had trouble finding dress shirts that had a fitted look. Thanks again!

Also, one more question Ties! Any recommendations?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ 1000000000 on TaT. i have 2 suits plus more stuff from them. they are great.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thick as Thieves is great. It's a pretty distinctive style, so if that's not your thing, then lurk around on the men's clothing buy&sell forum. Good deals can be had on slim suits from RLBL, Hickey, Thom Browne, et al.

As far as ties, a lot of guys on SF dig knit ties, myself included. J. Crew makes some decently nice ones. If you're into whimsical prints, check out Hermes and Ferragamo. For basic repp and regimental stripes, it's hard to go wrong with good ol' Brooks Brothers and J. Press.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Thick as Thieves is great. It's a pretty distinctive style, so if that's not your thing, then lurk around on the men's clothing buy&sell forum. Good deals can be had on slim suits from RLBL, Hickey, Thom Browne, et al.

it's not too distinctive when you get the conservative cut. it's what i opt for and wear them often for work

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raven37457
Awesome, I will start here and yes the custom made shirts came out perfect. I was very happy since I had trouble finding dress shirts that had a fitted look. Thanks again! Also, one more question Ties! Any recommendations?
You can generally get some really great ties from the B&S forum for way off retail (hard to go wrong with Brioni 7-folds for <$100)

nonissue

Reaction score
I agree with the navy + charcoal, that's what I came in here to post. I find black suits largely impractical.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
it's not too distinctive when you get the conservative cut. it's what i opt for and wear them often for work
I'm on a mission to personally hunt down and kill anyone that gets a conservative cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads