• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile shoe appropriate with tuxedo

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Was the Andy loafer that they say was made for Warhol really what was made for him, or is that something from the LVMH marketing department? It seems to be an awfully modern style and I've never seen a picture with him wearing anything like that, so it is a little hard to believe.
At this point, who knows? The stories I've heard would get me sued by LVMH, so the less I say...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have never seen black tie at Carnegie Hall. The Met, yes, but it's still a minority. A very small one.

We all were in black tie for Cab Calloway's 80th.

The mics all went south, and he sang Minnie the Moocher acapella into the hall.

Amazing.

- B

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread reminded me that my first post ever on SF was in defense of opera pumps. It was not met with camaraderie and embrace. Odoreater thought it strange that I would open a new account simply to come to the defense of 19th century footwear and Augusto thought they were sillier than frock coats. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...490#post514490 Of course my tone wasn't exactly friendly so perhaps it was understandable.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Those are brown. I do wear them.

Sorry, someone else must have bought a pair in black. My mistake.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have never seen black tie at Carnegie Hall. The Met, yes, but it's still a minority. A very small one.

One of my friends and I wore black tie to Cab Calloway's 80th birthday party concert at Carnegie Hall. But that was twenty two years ago.

- B

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomboys
Alden makes a plain-toe bal in black. MSRP of $398. I've never seen it in person, but it does seem to fit all the criteria you have.

I have a pair of these -- they would be my choice to solve the OP's problem.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Would a light colored summer suit be too ostentatious?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Thanks. Would a light colored summer suit be too ostentatious?

If it's summer, you'll look nice. Last time I was there, most people were wearing suits, surprisingly, and a good number with ties, and this was in winter. Many with not, however, and there were the obligatory jeans, etc. If it's a night concert on a Fri or Sat (and a big one) you might consider a dark suit.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomboys
Alden makes a plain-toe bal in black. MSRP of $398. I've never seen it in person, but it does seem to fit all the criteria you have.
The Alden 935.

935.jpg

Looks fine to me, and pretty much the only plain toe bal I can find under $400 (or even $5-600). I always see people saying that Aldens are clunky, but I've never been a good judge of clunky vs sleek shoe. At least the toe looks like it's got a nice shape to me, not too bulbous.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
^^^ You probably can't do much better than that. Just shine it like crazy and you are good to go.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wore those Aldens once to that wedding and have never worn them again. I do think the last is actually a bit bulbous and am not too happy about them.

A new question: if one were to own only one black shoe, regardless of price, should it be a plaintoe balmoral, or wholecut (with no medallion)? (Though isn't a wholecut a balmoral anyway?)

I feel the balmoral would be slightly better as you could wear it to an interview, where a wholecut may be too bold.

Also, a wholecut without a medallion seems odd as it is such a large expanse of unadorned, monotonous leather. The balmoral at least breaks up the monotony as it is composed of several pieces of leather.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Manton: In your address to wedding planners, you show this black captoe balmoral boot as the ideal:

029bnf0.jpg

But how would that look any different from a non-boot captoe, e.g. the Phillip II that you regret recommending Foo? The pants would cover up the boot part so they would indistinguishable.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wore those Aldens once to that wedding and have never worn them again. I do think the last is actually a bit bulbous and am not too happy about them. A new question: if one were to own only one black shoe, regardless of price, should it be a plaintoe balmoral, or wholecut (with no medallion)? (Though isn't a wholecut a balmoral anyway?) I feel the balmoral would be slightly better as you could wear it to an interview, where a wholecut may be too bold. Also, a wholecut without a medallion seems odd as it is such a large expanse of unadorned, monotonous leather. The balmoral at least breaks up the monotony as it is composed of several pieces of leather.

If only one pair of black shoes I vote AE Park Avenue or brand equivalent of a captoe balmoral.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads