• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile dress shoe for travel?

pgmetcalf

Reaction score
I hate rubber soled shoes for 2 reasons:

1) I suffer from static shocks, caused by rubber soles. Not very good if you're trying to impress a client.

2) maybe it's just me but the leather upper always peels away from the sole on the ball of the feet.

The exception, in both circumstances, are Dr Martens

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an ugly shoe.

swiego

Reaction score

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding in terms of what I meant by my original statement. I did not intend for it to be condescending -- I was merely curious as to why people would buy things they don't intend to use.
For the past few years, I've had a foot injury which prevented me from wearing good dress shoes (I had to make do with dainite soles and custom orthotics). So, I had a collection of great shoes that I could not really wear, that just sat around in my closet unused.
However, now, I can wear pretty much any shoe. And after having some geat shoes sit in my closet for the past few years unused, I do not see the point in not wearing them. Yes, they will get scuffed. Yes, they will get beaten up. Worn. Wet. And perhaps even damaged. But so what? After all, they are just shoes. Besides, I have other shoes, and there will always be new shoes to buy.
It has nothing to do with how many shoes (or suits, ties, watches) that you have. It's just a shift in mentality of buying something you do not intend to wear or use. I buy shoes because I will wear them, not because I wish to collect them.

There is no misunderstanding; you merely made a false generalization ("i save this pair of shoes for certain occasions" = "i bought something i don't intend to use") and just now you repeated it again... several times in one post, in fact.

If you really wish to understand, then give your post some thought and try to see this as less of a black-and-white issue than you are describing it to be.

Some people buy expensive things and put them in a locked box.

Some people buy expensive things and use them with absolutely zero regard for their suitability or the damage they may sustain.

The vast majority of us exist somewhere between the two extremes, and I don't think one person is any worse than the other for choosing to stand somewhere else on that spectrum than you or I would. I think that if you understand the idea that things can have situational use, then you will understand why the OP and others do not regard the idea of beater shoes as some horrific sin. (If you cannot understand this, then by all means wear your most expensive shoes in the worst possible environs for fear of being branded "someone who buys things he/she doesn't intend to use")

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is no misunderstanding; you merely made a false generalization ("i save this pair of shoes for certain occasions" = "i bought something i don't intend to use") and just now you repeated it again... several times in one post, in fact.
If you really wish to understand, then give your post some thought and try to see this as less of a black-and-white issue than you are describing it to be.
Some people buy expensive things and put them in a locked box.
Some people buy expensive things and use them with absolutely zero regard for their suitability or the damage they may sustain.
The vast majority of us exist somewhere between the two extremes, and I don't think one person is any worse than the other for choosing to stand somewhere else on that spectrum than you or I would. I think that if you understand the idea that things can have situational use, then you will understand why the OP and others do not regard the idea of beater shoes as some horrific sin. (If you cannot understand this, then by all means wear your most expensive shoes in the worst possible environs for fear of being branded "someone who buys things he/she doesn't intend to use")

I think you're reading too much into this. You're welcome to wear, or collect, your shoes.

My bone to pick with your comment was that you automatically assumed that those that do not "prize" their good shoes have several, or that use automatically equals abuse, neither of which need be true.

I was merely stating my preference, and questioning the wisdom of paying for something would get little use, especially something that's meant to be worn on your feet (and potentially step on everything from gum and spit on the sidewalk to pee in the restroom). And like I said, you're perfectly entitled to your opinions and I am to mine.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who is giving smug responses? Most people on this forum own predominantly leather soled shoes. Not because we can but because it is what we like and find comfortable and stylish. I easily walk 5-15 miles a day when traveling in quality leather soled shoes--because crapy shoes feel like crap and will hurt your feet. To get shoes that are 5lbs each you will probably have to find some double soled cordovan boots.

5-15 miles per day? 'the heck do you do?

lukelukeluke

Reaction score
I cast my best spells and will attempt thread necromancy rather than start a new thread: any thoughts on these Meermins for business travel?

I travel as light as possible (+1 for Red Oxx Air Boss) 3-4 times a year for 1-3 weeks at a time. Also, I tend to visit places where pavement is scattered or nonexistent (e.g., the sticks of Afghanistan and Pakistan) Ideally I would bring just two pairs of shoes, the ones I wear on the plane and sneakers. I know that violates every tenet of good shoe stewardship but in my quest for as-light-as-possible packing I'm willing to violate. My naive and possibly wrong idea is that rubber soles are better than leather soles at bearing up under daily wear. At the very least, I will be less sad about these $200 shoes wearing out than I would be about something more expensive.

Am I out to lunch?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing a pair of shoes around Tokyo in foul weather is like taking a girlfriend to a gangbang so you can watch other guys get her airtight. One might carefully consider which of their girlfriends that should be.

What would wearing a pair of JLP bespoke out on the street right after Sandy be?

I cast my best spells and will attempt thread necromancy rather than start a new thread: any thoughts on these Meermins for business travel?

I travel as light as possible (+1 for Red Oxx Air Boss) 3-4 times a year for 1-3 weeks at a time. Also, I tend to visit places where pavement is scattered or nonexistent (e.g., the sticks of Afghanistan and Pakistan) Ideally I would bring just two pairs of shoes, the ones I wear on the plane and sneakers. I know that violates every tenet of good shoe stewardship but in my quest for as-light-as-possible packing I'm willing to violate. My naive and possibly wrong idea is that rubber soles are better than leather soles at bearing up under daily wear. At the very least, I will be less sad about these $200 shoes wearing out than I would be about something more expensive.
Am I out to lunch?

Looks good to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads