• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Versatile Blazer

Blown01NJ

Reaction score
For work I often have to wear slacks and a shirt and tie without a jacket. I am a regular guy with regular income. I wear CT shirts, and basic run of the mill mall slacks with flat fronts.

I am looking for a versatile blazer that I can throw on over the shirt and tie for when I get out of work or if I want to dress up the outfit a bit. I usually wear grey or black slacks so I am looking for something that can be pretty universal and not super expensive.

Any suggestions? Navy? Grey?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy.

Buy quality if you can afford it. Don't purchase the crap sold at Nordstroms
and Macys. Don't go for a trendy cut, eg "slim fit". It will look dated in no time.
A classical cut can be tailored if you are slim. Only buy from a salesperson
who is dressed in the style that you prefer. If money is an object, check out the
better stores, decide on the model(s) you like and look for them online.
You could save a bundle. Good luck

Blown01NJ

Reaction score
As mentioned, I am a regular person. I cant go spend $500 on a blazer. I'm happy to get something at a local store and have it altered if need be.

How is J. Crew? Even their blaers are $300+ I dont want to spend that much.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll need to wait for sales, in that case, or keep browsing Ebay and the B&S forum for your size. You will not find well made, long lasting blazers at retail prize < $300

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As mentioned, I am a regular person. I cant go spend $500 on a blazer. I'm happy to get something at a local store and have it altered if need be.

How is J. Crew? Even their blaers are $300+ I dont want to spend that much.

I looked at their stuff years ago. Thought it was poor quality. But then I'm a clothing snob.
I paid over $600 for a RTW blazer over 20 years ago. I wore it until aboubt 5 years ago,
when I added some weight. It still looks good and shows no wear. It is very classically styled-
natural shoulders medium lapels and side vents. Follow the sales. I picked up an H Freeman sportcoat
last summer fully canvassed marked down to $300 from probably $800. I wasn't even looking for a
jacket but was interested in the $250 jeans in the same store. The jeans were not on sale.

Blown01NJ

Reaction score
Is everyone on the board loaded?

I just cant spend that kind of cash.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP: Navy is by far the most versatile color. You are better off looking places like SierraTradingPost, eBay and waiting for major sales to get a decent quality jacket for 50% off or better. Far better to spend, say $250, on a $500 jacket, than on a $250 jacket at full retail. A quality piece will last you longer than a cheap one; you just may want to bide your time and wait for the right deal to make sure you get a quality piece in your price range.

Not necssarily. It's just that many of us have warped priorities.

This is very true.

I wonder this blazer online would be helpful or not: http://www.upunique.com/blazers/black-and-white-glen-check-blazer

Not very versatile IMO, plus looks a bit like an orphaned suit coat to me.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Perhaps this will help you and I might possibly get flamed for this: I'm sort of like you in that I like nice clothes but am not someone who will spend extravagant amounts on them. Pretty much all of my clothing (and shoes) are purchased on clearance or double clearance - I pay full price for nothing. I started wearing blazers/jackets about a year ago and very much like Joseph A Banks. I have four of them: a 'wheat' colored camelhair jacket which I absolutely love ($120 on sale), a brown classic tweed jacket ($120 on sale), a grey and navy 'textured' jacket ($73 on sale), and a traditional blue blazer ($73 on sale). Each jacket was roughly $400-450 regular price, although it's hard to determine how much of a deal I got since Banks has pretty extreme sales going on all the time (i.e. what's 'regular' price if nothing is ever sold at regular price?). Of course, each jacket requires tailoring to my body which usually runs me around $30 for the sleeves and an additional $30 for the waist + body. So, add sixty bucks to each of them. To me the quality seems to be at a level somewhere in-between Macy's and Nordstroms which is just fine for me. I cannot and will not spend over $500 for a jacket but do understand why some folks would do so. I just can't afford it and would put my money elsewhere if I could. Alternatively, I would choose to purchase jackets at Nordstrom Rack which is also where I'd buy my next suit (I wear a suit literally once or twice per year). But, again, I would only purchase it on clearance. Does this help at all?

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is everyone on the board loaded?

I just cant spend that kind of cash.

$500 on a blazer does not make you loaded. There are definitely some well off people here but most of us just save up to buy better quality, longer lasting items. Or we buy from Ebay and the B&S forum.

It's the same with dress shoes and a lot of other stuff ...

Do you want to spend $100 per pair of dress shoes and have them break down after 2 years use? Or would you rather spend $300+ once and have stuff that can last for a decade or longer with proper care?

Scottyb06

Reaction score
$500 on a blazer does not make you loaded. There are definitely some well off people here but most of us just save up to buy better quality, longer lasting items. Or we buy from Ebay and the B&S forum.

It's the same with dress shoes and a lot of other stuff ...

Do you want to spend $100 per pair of dress shoes and have them break down after 2 years use? Or would you rather spend $300+ once and have stuff that can last for a decade or longer with proper care?

And, to this point, I will say that I have no problem paying for higher priced shoes (I prefer Allen Edmonds). For many years I've been a Kenneth Cole and Cole Haan guy. All but two pairs have lasted less than two years and I don't wear each pair more than twice per week (and take good care of them when not worn). I've recently been converted to AE and will not go back. I'd much rather pay $250 - $300 for a pair of AE's which will last literally decades (with recrafting) than pay $90 for a pair of shoes which will be replaced much sooner. Plus, the design and quality are simply outstanding. I have my first pair of Strands (Walnut) on the way!

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is everyone on the board loaded? I just cant spend that kind of cash.
is this a loaded question? Not all members are loaded but we all think we are ballers...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads