• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a pair of black AE fifth aves, since I don't have a pair of decent black shoes.

Then I got to thinking how much I would wear them. I have one navy suit, which I usually wear walnut strands with. The idea was that I could get black Fifth Aves to dress the suit up more. But since FAs seem too formal to wear with nicer dark jeans, I'm not sure if they're versatile enough to justify getting. I'd probably only wear them to formal interviews or funerals.

Is there a less formal black narrow shoe (size 8B) that could dress a navy suit up more than walnut, but also work with dark jeans? Or are dark jeans and black shoes a no-no?

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Fifth Street boot for just those applications. VERY versatile.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
Love the boot. Sad it doesn't come narrower than D in size 8.

Last edited:

gooter

Reaction score
you could try going a half-size down, though I'm not sure they'd be narrow enough for you. Cant hurt to try though.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to dress up a navy suit, get the 5th Avenues in dark brown, not black. Black and navy are certainly acceptable and conservative business wear, but I think the dark brown looks a lot better with navy, and the combination is still dressy.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am conflicted, on one hand, you really should have one pair of go-to black shoes, and the 5th avenue is a solid choice. On the other hand, burgundy shoes look so much better with navy. The AE merlot calfskin in particular is really quite a spectacular color in person.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but I don't think any shoe, particularly a black shoe, that will complement a navy suit well will also be compatible with jeans and vice versa.

Just my $.02.

doublemazaa

Reaction score
I'll add that I wear suits infrequently. Probably 2-3 times a year. The shoes dressing up jeans is probably more important, with their ability to work with navy suit as an important side job.

facet

Reaction score
How about the Kenilworth's or Norwich's in brown then? I'd wear either of them with jeans. Although I kind of agree with JLibourel as well that it'll be tough to find a shoe that can do both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads