Vermouth

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Jun 1, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Do you like vermouth?

I think it's an underappreciated drink although its status as an apÃ[​IMG]ritif is perhaps here to stay.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have bottles from Boissiere and Noilly Prat. I drink a lot of martinis.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I prefer red vermouth.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

White vermouth tastes a lot like sake. I've never tried red.

Does vermouth go bad after a period of time? I'm guessing yes, but I don't know how long.

5. Kent Wang

I prefer red vermouth.
    For sipping on its own, yes. When in a pinch, one can substitute a vermouth with wine and a generous dash of bitters.

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

For martinis, I prefer Lillet blanc, which I also prefer to any other apperatif. It makes a rather wet martini, so if you stand on ceremony about dryness, give it a miss.

I haven't explored vermouth as much as I'd like to yet, but my motto is "I'd rather be a good liver than have one."

Any suggestions for an aspiring lush?

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

My favorite is Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth.

8. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

To drink straight, I prefer bianco vermouth, which is white but different from "dry". Got hooked on it as an ignorant 17 year old in Europe for the summer; I thought that when I was ordering "Martini Bianco" that I was ordering an actual martini, and continued to think so until I went off to college a year later and began drinking in earnest. It's relatively hard to find in the US, unfortunately. Not even all liquor stores carry it, though they invariably have rosso and dry. Around here the only varieties of bianco available are Martini & Rossi and Cinzano. I prefer the former.

9. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Noilly Prat is my standard, but a friend of mine introduced me to Vya vermouth, which is pretty difficult to find but well worth the effort.

10. Kent Wang

Vya costs $20 while Noilly Prat, Boissiere and Martini & Rossi are below $5. Do you really think it's worth the premium? I asked my liquor store guy and he thinks that Vya is all marketing. I bought a bottle once to try it out but I dropped it on my driveway.

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Vya costs $20 while Noilly Prat, Boissiere and Martini & Rossi are below $5. Do you really think it's worth the premium? I asked my liquor store guy and he thinks that Vya is all marketing. I bought a bottle once to try it out but I dropped it on my driveway.
    It's probably for the best Kent, you know how we feel about drinking and driving! [​IMG]

12. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Below $5? Damn. Around here the going rate is $8 or $9.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

China also has a red vermouth by Changyu Winery, which apparently won the Gold Medal at the Panama International World's Fair in 1915.

14. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Do you like vermouth?

I find that merely glancing at the vermouth bottle while mixing a martini imparts a great flavor.

[​IMG]

15. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

The cost difference is a bit less near me: Noilly costs around $7-8 and Vya can be had for $15 (IIRC). Still, it's not necessarily worth the premium all the time--in the same sense that I don't (can't) always drink premium single malts--but I *really* enjoyed it and have no trouble justifying keeping some around for a special occasion or mood.