• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Verizon Rant - better alternative to provided DVR?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** Verizon.

They jacked up their DVR rental price AGAIN.

When I got this box I was paying $12 a month for it. Now they raised it to $17, the 3rd price increase.

Same box too. I called them and the stupid rep told me it was inflation. How the hell can there be inflation on a product they bought 6 years ago and has been sitting in my house???

Anyway... my point...

Is there a cheaper alternative out there?

I checked out Tivo but **** this $500 lifetime crap... so I save money in 4 years???

Their monthly rate is no savings either, since I have to buy the box too.

What else is there?

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to do this too. Paying a monthly fee for a ************* box that is ungodly slow and unresponsive is infuriating. The cable TV industry needs to evolve and let consumers pick their own set top box that they take with them when they move, etc.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any solutions that are both low-effort and low-cost. Most home theater PCs have DVR capabilities of some variety. It's also a common feature or capability of other media solutions such as XBMC, Roku, etc. The upside to the HTPC that I use is that I have access to any kind of streaming (Hulu, Netflix, etc.), DVR capabilities limited only by the size of the hard drive, and it has plenty of excess computing capacity so it can do other things such as backup my laptops, etc. The downside is that it would cost you about the same as the Tivo lifetime subscription and it takes a little bit of effort and know-how to configure.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately there seems to be an untapped market here.

After doing some research today, looks like a cheaper alternative is Craigslist. Buy a 1 gen older Tivo with a lifetime for like 300$. That is less than 2 years to break even, which frankly still seems like forever.

At the very least I will make those verizon F***ers update my box. If you are going to charge me for it, I want the latest. Assholes.

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is FIOS still letting subscribers get cable cards? I'm sure they'll make you pay for that too. :fu:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is FIOS still letting subscribers get cable cards? I'm sure they'll make you pay for that too. :fu:

Apparently there is some form of cable card option, but I dont really want a pc sitting next to my tv

And yes, they charge like 5$ a month for it

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apparently there is some form of cable card option, but I dont really want a pc sitting next to my tv
And yes, they charge like 5$ a month for it

AFAIK you would need to put a cable card into a TIVO if you buy it in order to access the Verizon HD content. I could be wrong as I've never done it, though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics