• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Verizon DSL vs. Comcast cable modem

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the Comcast guy knocks on my door today to offer me Internet + phone for $59 a month, which would come out to about $67 with tax. Currently I pay about $110 for the same bundle from Verizon. I think I will make the switch on the basis of the numbers along. I can knock $40 off my fixed expenses right away. However, does anyone have experience with Comcast's cable modem service? Anyone have a horror story or reason to talk me out of this? I want to do it wireless, so I will have to set up a router, which should not be a big deal, correct?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, comcast has been infinitely better than any DSL I've had. Check out dslreports.com for providers in your area. I hate them all.

Kique

Reaction score
In my area, DSL is really slow compared to Comcast cable. Just double check if its $59 a month, forever, or for the first # months. I know when my family got Comcast it was a lot cheaper for the first 6, then went up.

Wireless will work fine too BTW

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Verizon sucks 'cause they really, really try to screw you out of as much money as they can. Comcast sucks 'cause their customer service blows, plus they operate as a monopoly as much as they can.

Cable is still usually faster than dsl.

But you can maybe save yourself some hassle (your verizon "deal" is NOT a good one) by calling verizon, telling them comcast just visited your door... and you don't want to switch but....

They'll likely match the offer. Their marketing department has people who monitor competitive deals and they probably know about the offer.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also factor in installation charges.

When I was setting up my apt, I had a choice of Verizon or Time Warner. Installation cost for the former was hundreds of dollars (this apt was recently renovated, had no phone or cable lines of any kind). Cable installation was much cheaper. Plus cable offered more potentially attractive bundling ops. I do want cable TV. I don't want a landline. So I went with the cable company.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Also factor in installation charges.

When I was setting up my apt, I had a choice of Verizon or Time Warner. Installation cost for the former was hundreds of dollars (this apt was recently renovated, had no phone or cable lines of any kind). Cable installation was much cheaper. Plus cable offered more potentially attractive bundling ops. I do want cable TV. I don't want a landline. So I went with the cable company.

That's the thing: Installation for Comcast is $29.95 one time fee, which even with that, would make my monthly bill cheaper than what I am paying for Verizon. I'm sure Comcast could improve in the customer service department, but ****, Verizon is the worst I have ever encountered. It is hell trying to pay my freaking bill or talk to a human being.

Palladio

Reaction score
I've used Comcast's cable modem for two years here (Pittsburgh), and it's been fine-- very few outages, decent speed, etc. I pay $62 a month, and don't have any serious problems with the service; it may be worse in your area.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Verizon DSL is fast and rock solid, as far as I know no outage in 2 years. Is Comcast as reliable?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
My Verizon DSL is fast and rock solid, as far as I know no outage in 2 years. Is Comcast as reliable?

no, not at all.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Comcast has terrible customer service but the extra speed is almost always faster than standard DSL.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you guys rate CLEARWIRE?
eh.gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clearwire is the worst, even more so than Comcast. You'd be better of with a 56k modem connection.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
maybe you should just get FiOS?!

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atrickstasygr