• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Venturing into English made shoes....

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
..after much reading, lurking and consideration for my style, need, and budget...interested in Loake 1880 line...

Current AE size in 7D, and last' 5 and 7 (PA, Strand, MacNeil) are both great fit ...

Looking into the following styles:
- Savoy (in Mahogany; Mayfair last)
- Pimlico (Chukka in drkBrwn dainite sole; Capital last)
- Badmington 2 (drkBrwn blucher dainite sole; Loake 26 last)

Since I am planning to order online (Pediwear or Herring) and first time buying English made footwear, just trying to avoid unecessary return/exchange (and grief
smile.gif
)

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, and thoughts...Thanks in advance

Reaction score
all great styles of Loake but a few things you should consider.

The Savoy is very modern last, somewhat Italian in shape and the brogue punch is finer than the badminton, the mahogany colour is excellent and sole finish brilliant.

The Pilimco is a very nice boot but we tend to sell more Kempton boots than this style, the dainite sole is a sensible choice if you are hard on your soles. Fitting wise they fit to a traditional F width.

The badminton is one of the most popular loakes we have in our shop, the grain leather is excellent and the brogue punch a good bit heavier than the Savoy. Fitting wise it is a traditional last (maybe 60 or 70 years old) and is also a G fit. We have found that the shoe actually fits between 1/2 to a full size bigger than people's normal size (this is judged by the amounts of exchanges we get and the amount of fittings we do in store).

One more style you may consider at this stage is the loake ashby from the loake 1880 range, a new style of this season but one that has proved very popular to those looking for a traditional country english brogue at a fair price. http://www.robinsonsshoes.com/loake-...370-53-672.php

any other questions please do ask.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are a braver man than I...I've been looking at several pairs of C&J shoes on Pediwears website but I'm unsure about ordering since I haven't tried them on. I know that Pediwear will exchange them, does anyone know the shipping charge to return an item to them?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
You are a braver man than I...I've been looking at several pairs of C&J shoes on Pediwears website but I'm unsure about ordering since I haven't tried them on. I know that Pediwear will exchange them, does anyone know the shipping charge to return an item to them?

..same boat here, and the reason why looking for fellow SF's wise and valued opinions...knowing my shopping/buying style, I am a very visual person and would prefer seeing the merchandise. Although I am not planning to buy all items at once, it gives me an idea of what I need to fill shoe inventory gap

chet31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
..same boat here, and the reason why looking for fellow SF's wise and valued opinions...knowing my shopping/buying style, I am a very visual person and would prefer seeing the merchandise. Although I am not planning to buy all items at once, it gives me an idea of what I need to fill shoe inventory gap

You probably answered my question by making this post, but I am assuming that Loake, C&J, etc. are not available retail in Chicago? I am in Wisconsin and was hoping they might be available in Chicago but ...

Izhitsa

Reaction score
I've a pair of Loake Savoys, and I would advise one to try the Savoy on before buying, because the fit of this long and narrow last might be a bit different; mine Savoys are 1/2 size up from the usual 8UK.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after searching the forum and google, I have not found any SF approved or reputable dealers of English footwear around Chicagoland area...many are suggesting B&S or ebay but with a size of 7D or 6.5 (depending on the last) i have reservations w/o a thorough research (plus my budget considerations)...

ktrp

Reaction score
Prior to SF, I owned one pair of AEs and some garbage shoes.

I've since bought some Charles Tyrwhitt(Loake) boots off e-bay and a couple of shoes via Herring (one by Barker, one I believe Loake).

Each time I'm nervous on sizing.

The price just slaughters what's availably local at retail prices here. Accept that you may occasionally have to send some back. You'll still come out ahead on average.

I wear an 11 in AE and a 10 in Loake/Barker fit fine. (Most of my athletic shoes are larger then that).

I suggest reading what most people with feet close to you in size are doing to drop from US to UK, and then take the plunge.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 ... insightful and helpful..Thanks ktrp

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izhitsa
I've a pair of Loake Savoys, and I would advise one to try the Savoy on before buying, because the fit of this long and narrow last might be a bit different; mine Savoys are 1/2 size up from the usual 8UK.

Thanks...I'll keep this in mind as I go though my decision and selection process

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
I suggest reading what most people with feet close to you in size are doing to drop from US to UK, and then take the plunge.

Any of you guys wear a US 9.5 D in Cole Haan? If so, what size do you wear in CJ or AS? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads