Vents..how many

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hklouis, May 24, 2005.

1. hklouis

hklouis Member

being fairly new to this forum, i must apologise if this topic has been touched upon before...

what i want to know is how many vents (0,1, or 2) should a formal suit jacket have. is this subject purely to trend, or does occassion (and perhaps cut and colour) factor into consideration?

looking at the suits that i have worn recently, they are all single vented...is this the current norm?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

There is no norm.  There is something of a geographical preference (Americans = center, English = side, Italian fashion = none, Italian classic = side, Other Europeans = none) but even that is far from monolithic.

I think it is safe to say that more sophisticated dressers (or, less charitably, men with an unhealthy obsession with clothing) prefer side vents.  This was not always the case -- no vents used to get the nod.  It used to be somewhat rare to see side-vented coats made ready-to-wear, but they are now so ubiquitous that some people are getting sick of them.  Center vents I think have always been in third place.

Personally, I always get side vents.  I like the way they look, and I like the way they perform.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

What do you mean "formal suit jacket"? Are you talking about a tux? If so, then either none or side -- never center. No vents probably more formal. If you are talking about a normal suit coat, then just say "suit coat." No need to pigeonhole the suit by calling it formal. [​IMG] See Manton's answer. Over time, I've found I favor double vents, more for functionality than looks (though I like the look as well).

4. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

If by 'formal suit' you mean a biz suit I would opt for the side vents - they look better than the other two options (though I hate how RTW manufacturers are adding side vents and ticket pockets to their jackets).

Panzer

5. hklouis

hklouis Member

sorry..did not mean tux...
    i mean..as you put it 'suit coat'...
    i used 'formal' as to not to confuse with 'not so formal' suits as worn in the Miami Vice tv series....not sure if anyone remembers that show...

6. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

How many vents? No more than 2.

7. bch

bch Senior member

2 or 1, in order of preference. Hate non-vented coats since they are less comfortable when sitting or when putting hands in pockets.

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

I don't like single-vented jackets for some reason. Maybe it's because, to me, the single vent visually interrupts the back. Or maybe it's because I've seen too many single-vented jackets with badly done waist surpression, so that the single vent gapes open.

9. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

It's been a while since I saw an "italian fashion" jacket with no vents. Maybe it's the "italian fashion" sold in the US.

.luc

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

(Manton @ May 24 2005,06:23) There is no norm. Â There is something of a geographical preference (Americans = center, English = side, Italian fashion = none, Italian classic = side, Other Europeans = none) but even that is far from monolithic.
    It's been a while since I saw an "italian fashion" jacket with no vents. Maybe it's the "italian fashion" sold in the US. .luc
    Ventless Eyetalian = definitely somewhat of an 80s thing -- I think the estimable Bruce Boyer mentions it in his fantastic fin-de-decennie book Eminently Suitable.

11. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Most people on the board actually prefer the triple [center and side] vented jackets, which are especially cool in the summer.

Few will admit it of course, until you post a picture of yourself in a triple vented model.  Then you'll be 'in the club.'

12. ATM

ATM Senior member

There's room for two more in the front too.