1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ventless suit jacket -- still in style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bcjohn, Jul 26, 2006.

1. bcjohn

bcjohn Active Member

I am looking at a "new" Oxxford suit on ebay. The jacket is ventless, the make is Gibbons. Are ventless suit jackets for business in style, assuming they ever were? Also, does the fact that the Oxxford jacket is ventless mean that the suit, although "new" is several years old? Thanks.

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Ventless is perennial. When it comes to things like peak v. notch, SB v. DB, vents v. ventless, fashion is not really an issue. As look as suits last, those will be viable options. The only question is what you like, and what you think looks good on you.

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

I've found ventless suits to be a refreshing change and a wardrobe of side and back vent suits. It's a way of being a little different without taking too great a risk.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

I know the style gods aren't going to frown upon you if you wear a suit with a ventless jacket. Still, I find such jackets highly impractical, particularly if I'm going to do any sitting.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

I know the style gods aren't going to frown upon you if you wear a suit with a ventless jacket. Still, I find such jackets highly impractical, particularly if I'm going to do any sitting.

I agree. I also think double vents lend an air of sophistication that ventless jackets do not.

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Distinguished Member

Also, does the fact that the Oxxford jacket is ventless mean that the suit, although "new" is several years old? Thanks.
    In general, I find that ventless jackets tend to indicate a mid-90s or earlier item. That said, I don't worry about them as much as I do about those low, droopy, huge gorges that so many 90s suits have which, IMHO, makes them unwearable.

7. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Assuming that you have a classic tailored bespoke suit no features are really out of style. Quality will overide most thoughts.

On a cheap RTW garment then high fashion has a very short life and ventless is not current.