• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ventless suit jacket -- still in style?

bcjohn

Reaction score
I am looking at a "new" Oxxford suit on ebay. The jacket is ventless, the make is Gibbons. Are ventless suit jackets for business in style, assuming they ever were? Also, does the fact that the Oxxford jacket is ventless mean that the suit, although "new" is several years old? Thanks.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ventless is perennial. When it comes to things like peak v. notch, SB v. DB, vents v. ventless, fashion is not really an issue. As look as suits last, those will be viable options. The only question is what you like, and what you think looks good on you.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the style gods aren't going to frown upon you if you wear a suit with a ventless jacket. Still, I find such jackets highly impractical, particularly if I'm going to do any sitting.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I know the style gods aren't going to frown upon you if you wear a suit with a ventless jacket. Still, I find such jackets highly impractical, particularly if I'm going to do any sitting.

I agree. I also think double vents lend an air of sophistication that ventless jackets do not.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcjohn
Also, does the fact that the Oxxford jacket is ventless mean that the suit, although "new" is several years old? Thanks.
In general, I find that ventless jackets tend to indicate a mid-90s or earlier item. That said, I don't worry about them as much as I do about those low, droopy, huge gorges that so many 90s suits have which, IMHO, makes them unwearable.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming that you have a classic tailored bespoke suit no features are really out of style. Quality will overide most thoughts.

On a cheap RTW garment then high fashion has a very short life and ventless is not current.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.