• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ventless SC? Yay or Nay?

red dragon

Reaction score
Ok I know ventless suit jackets have been mused upon, but curious to see where the forvm stands on sport coats... Is it considered dated, a mortal sin, perfectly acceptable or just a personal preference?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We did this one a few weeks ago about vents. I think me and Cary Grant were the only ones in favour of ventless. I own about 12 suits and 20 sports jackets and not a single vent among them. It was easy for a while but over the last few years as vents have come back in I have bought a lot of nicely made vented jackets and had the vents closed.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not just the look of vented jackets that I prefer but also the practicality. Still, I think it's preference.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yay if you're not fat, stand a lot and don't need to sit down in the cold.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it will look dated. The last one I bought was circa 2003. It must have been one of the last ones out of the shop.....

harry2quinn

Reaction score
I wouldn't (I own one and I'm not a fan). Dual vents have been my choice. That said, I think it's personal preference.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one I have is a heavy Irish linen by Luciano Barbera. On a linen jacket/suit it actually makes sense because it minimizes wrinkles IMO. But on wool or cashmere NO.

mco543

Reaction score
I love ventless just as much as I do double vented, on the other hand I absolutely hate single vented and have them closed to make the jacket ventless.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Jackets with no vents look like a 1980's mistake.

myke

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one ventless jacket, it's a nice one but bc is ventless I just dont use it. It feels... 1990s.
So I have to say vented. However, like everything else if you like it... Just the chances of it looking bad are a lot higher

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel it can be do-able, but it will look a bit dated. I thrifted a Hickey Freeman Ventless SC and it's easily the best fitting jacket in my wardrobe, however I do wear it sparingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads