Ventless coats: never seen one that I like

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Louche, Oct 13, 2009.

1. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I know its been talked about before, but I have to bring it up again. I saw a few ventless coats today and I can't say they looked good. In fact, I've never seen, or tried one on that looked good. To me, they always look as if they wrap around your butt and have no skirtting at all. Vey un-natural.

But I have never seen a really well-made ventless coat, only cheap ones on shlubs at work and in stores. I am guessing that, when done properly, a ventless coat will indeed have more skirt. After all, it is considered a classic style whether I like it or not.

So am I correct? Does a ventless coat look better, more natural when done properly? Or do even the good ones cling to your rear-end and look constricting?

2. pdial

pdial Senior member

I have a ventless Zenga sports coat that doesn't cling at all. It probably helps that I have no ass though. But I do see a lot of cheap ventless coats that look really bad.

3. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

my tux jacket is ventless, and it looks just as nice as my dual vented jackets when worn.

4. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

my tux jacket is ventless, and it looks just as nice as my dual vented jackets when worn.

Is it bespoke? High end OTR or MTM? Just curious; I wonder if ventless is better executed by better makes.

5. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

mine is Isaia, as a matter of fact, I had also purchased a Kiton dual vented tux , and decided to keep the ventless Isaia and return the dual vented Kiton.

Only for tux though, I can't stand ventless jacket as a SC or part of a suit.

6. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

I usually can't stand ventless but I made an impulse buy a while back on a Paul Smith Mainline tweed jacket.

I tried it on and the ventless issue really didn't seem too potent. I guess it must be something to do with the way that particular jacket is cut or hangs...

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

You won't, they look dreadful

8. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

I had a Paul Smith suit with a ventless jacket and at the time I purchased it I thought nothing about the vent/ventless debate. It didn't cling or look strange (at least in my estimation). But, that said, I doubt I will buy a suit again that doesn't have vents. Now dinner jackets are a different story.

9. Corniche

Corniche Senior member

Personally I onle buy dual vent jackets but if you wacht cinema noir films from 40 and 50´s all the jackets are ventless and look real good except the pants are baggier.

10. bsinge50

bsinge50 Well-Known Member

I have a really bad Jones New York ventless jacket that is just awful, but what would you expect. It was a gift from my dad. I also have never tried on a good ventless jacket.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

I have a great ventless belvest jacket as part of a suit. it rocks and i do not have a flat butt.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I also have a ventless Zegna sports jacket (among others) and love the fit.
    You either have the right body type for it or you don't. I have a small butt as well.
    Tall, small butt, & slim body frames should be able to pull off ventless with ease.

13. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Pedantry: what about dinner jackets?

14. bsinge50

bsinge50 Well-Known Member

I guess this is personal, but I'm very slim and have almost no butt, but I just hate the way ventless jackets look on anyone. They look like a sausage or a condom or something to me.

15. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I have 2 ventless coats. One is part of a suit and one is a sportcoat. They both look great and, while slim, I have plenty of ass. I don't think 99.9% of the population would even give a second thought to what type of, if any, vent(s) a jacket has.