• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ventless 3 Pc Suit?

laxnate

Reaction score
I took a 3 pc suit to Peppino today. Overall I was happy with the fitting, attention, Peppino(?) seemed like a nice, friendly talkative guy.

The one thing that kind of threw me was that he seemed insistent on closing the center vent. Is it unusual/frowned upon to have a ventless 3 pc or is it just preference. I think the ventless jacket might be ok since I am short and slim (5'7", 130lbs) but I don't want to be walking around in something that is an obvious faux pas.

Should I call Peppino tomorrow and ask that the vent be kept open?

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm on ebay too much, but I tend to associate ventless with late-eighties, and not in a positive way.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's frowned upon and personally would prefer it over centre. It's a matter of taste.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I tend to associate ventless with late-eighties, and not in a positive way.
It seems that some people do, but nonetheless it is a classic look. The "North by Northwest"(1959) suit was ventless. In twenty years some people will say that rear vents were so 2000, but yet they will still be classic.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what you described, it sounds like no vents are better for fit and overall looks.

Also, no vents tend to be more formal than side or center vents. The ventless (more formal) look might be a better match for your 3 pc suit, since a 3pc tends to be more formal than regular 2 pc suit.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, vents have to do with confort not fashion....

The vents help you when sitting and when accessing your trouser pockets....

So If you have a 3 pieces suit then you would be dressed indoors without the jacket, and also you could more freely have your jacket open at all times...

So the vents are less needed.

I do have an OTR ventless 3 pieces.... I have 2 bespoke 3 pieces, one in navy another in heavy herringbone tweed, when I had them made I asked for vents, because I could use the suits as a 2 pieces on ocassions, and for that I'd need the vents.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
It seems that some people do, but nonetheless it is a classic look. The "North by Northwest"(1959) suit was ventless. In twenty years some people will say that rear vents were so 2000, but yet they will still be classic.

It is a classic look. In fact, most of CG's suits were ventless; not just the two in "North by Northwest" (gray sharkskin and navy stripe) but also, most prominently, the double breasted glen plaid in "His Girl Friday" and "Suspicion" (a suit lover's dream).

I'm a devout fan of the ventless look, and have two that are three piece, one of which (charcoal beadstripe single breasted w/peak lapel) I had made just this summer by Oxxford. Go for it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Most of Astaire's coats were ventless, too. In fact, most classic clothing from the 30s was ventless.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either a vented or a ventless 3-piece suit.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost all of Hugh Laurie's (as Bertie Wooster) suits were ventless. All of David Suchet's were in Poirot. They both looked awesome.

Peppino has closed vents for me and done a wonderful job.

To my taste:

two vents>no vents>single vent

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
In fact, most of CG's suits were ventless; not just the two in "North by Northwest" (gray sharkskin and navy stripe) but also
Are you sure ? The reason I ask is that on pages 36-37 of the new CG book , it describes how he actually did not like ventless suits, and preferred the dual vents. Also, in the section of the book that describes or has a huge picture of North by Northwest it describes how he actually had the dual vents cut much higher and longer AND that he learned a trick from Mae West(sp) about having 2 versions of a suit made. One was made ventless for scenes where he would have to stand straight and one was vented for sitting scenes. Please check me on that, but I believe throughout the book it describes his "special look" of how he puts his hands in his pants and this looks terrible in a vented suit so he preferred dual vented highly cut side seams.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Are you sure ? The reason I ask is that on pages 36-37 of the new CG book , it describes how he actually did not like ventless suits, and preferred the dual vents. Also, in the section of the book that describes or has a huge picture of North by Northwest it describes how he actually had the dual vents cut much higher and longer AND that he learned a trick from Mae West(sp) about having 2 versions of a suit made. One was made ventless for scenes where he would have to stand straight and one was vented for sitting scenes.

Please check me on that, but I believe throughout the book it describes his "special look" of how he puts his hands in his pants and this looks terrible in a vented suit so he preferred dual vented highly cut side seams.

I'm pretty sure, but haven't seen the movie in quite a while, so I could be wrong.

I do know that there was a chase seen in NbNW. I don't remember his jacket flapping open at the vents, as you'd expect if, in fact, it was vented.

Yet another great movie for suit fans is Dial M for Murder, again featuring ventless jackets. Magnificent film.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
North by Northwest it describes how he actually had the dual vents cut much higher and longer

north202.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads