• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Venting

CO123

Reaction score
What do you prefer? Side vent jackets or center vent. Has anyone changed opinions over the last year to what they prefer?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think side is more elegant and practical. I think center if done right is great too, but it will never be as elegant or as practical as side venting.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think side is more elegant and practical.  I think center if done right is great too, but it will never be as elegant or as practical as side venting.
Exactly how I feel about the subject.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think side is more elegant and practical.  I think center if done right is great too, but it will never be as elegant or as practical as side venting.
Practical, I agree. I just bought a long topcoat with a center vent, and it demands quite a few contorsions when sitting down in my car to make it comfortable and to prevent wrinkles.

Elegant, though, not necessarily: have you ever walked behind a man wearing a blazer with side vents? Up and down, up and down, goes the piece of fabric against the lower back...

It is a different matter with a topcoat, but the flow of the fabric as I walk in my new topcoat is something I find quite elegant.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "up down, up down" IS what makes it elegant.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "up down, up down" IS what makes it elegant.
Oh, really? It sort of makes me smile... It has a cuddly quality, I don't know.

kidkim2

Reaction score
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: No vents.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your question should be side or none. I'd go with side as a standard, ventless for more formal/less practical wear, and only occasionally center for "sporting" jackets.
i used to feel this way too, until very recently. i still prefer side vents as a matter of practicality, but i'd rather have a center vent than no vent at all. i just don't like the way ventless jackets look anymore. thanks to brian sd for changing my mind on the subject.

oldskool

Reaction score
No vents for skinny tall men only. I am an average build and wear side vents.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No vents for skinny tall men only.  I am an average build and wear side vents.
so 'skinny tall men' don't sit down or put there hands in their pockets?

if the suit fits you, the your choice of vents should have nothing to do with your body type.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads