• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Venting

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am mad and needed to vent. Just got my new chocolate brown cords from the alterations guy, and they are about 2 inches too short.  I had even taken the heels I intended to wear with the pants to the shop.  Now they're barely OK with my Pliners (flats). And then the waist was supposed to have been taken in, which he did, but not nearly enough.  Grrr...

Have any of you had nightmarish experiences with alterations?  This is almost enough for me to consider taking a sewing [email protected]#$%#..

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have any of you had nightmarish experiences with alterations?
I would venture to say that all of us have had nightmarish experiences with alterations. But there are nightmares and there are mere bad dreams. A bad dream is when something comes out wrong but it can be fixed. A true nightmare is when a bad alteration is irreversible, because too much cloth has been cut away.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think my frustration comes from the fact that I feel I have to spell out everything and check twice in order to get things done correctly. And that is in all matters, from alterations, to meals at restaurants, to services rendered. There are periods in life when it all piles up, and that is such a period for me.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It might be helpful to keep a record of your basic measurements with you ie. inseam, sleeve length. These measurements will serve as a guide for whomever your using to do your alterations.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabienne,
I hope you took the cords back. Every tailor I've seen is willing to correct something that didn't come out right. Give him a shot.

I agree with drink, that you should know most of your measurements (by heart), but note that your inseam is something the tailor is going to have to mark every time.

stache

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I find that one must spell everything out every time when it comes to any kind of custom service. That way, if there's a problem you can fall back on your previous instructions.

SmartDresser

Reaction score
...the fact that I feel I have to spell out everything and check twice in order to get things done correctly.
My recent nightmare was, ordering 1 inch in on the waist, getting 1 inch out on the waist.  I think I fumed enough to get noticed.  The tailor bought another pant and started over.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I had a pair of jeans (very light colored) taken in at the waist and when i received them, they fit great, only at the rear, on either side of the seam, were four evenly spaced black marks, which appear to be burns, I can only imagine from leaving the garment in the sewing machine unmoved for too long a period of time. That's irreversible, and the jeans are irreplaceable.
I feel for you.

Dan

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
four evenly spaced black marks, which appear to be burns, I can only imagine from leaving the garment in the sewing machine unmoved for too long a period of time.
I have no idea what these marks were and whether or not they were burn marks. But there is nothing in a sewing machine that can get hot and could potentially leave burn marks.

Other explanation required.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It feels a little better to have company in my misery. I do plan to take them back, but he cut some of the fabric, so I'm not sure it can ever be the length I wanted initially. At least he can make them right for wearing with the Pliners.

What I'm worried about now, is that he did another pair of pants, which I haven't tried on yet. They were to be taken in at the waist, and he wasn't to touch the length, but who knows.

He's usually good, I can't complain too much. When I first lived in the US and had little money in Princeton, NJ, I selected a seamstress in the local paper. She shortened black pants and delivered them with a nice and regular sequence of white stitches.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.