• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vent-less suits out of style now?

mamasboy

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on vent less suit jackets? Have they had their day?

Galix

Reaction score
IMO ventless jackets are either good or a bad option depending on the use you want to give them. I wouldn't wear this kind of jackets in a formal suit, whereas I do wear ventless jackets in informal settings. For instance I prefer ventless in my linen jackets.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They don't get much love around these parts, and I admit I am partial myself to two vents (which I think make for a better line), but I don't think they're shockingly out of date or anything like that. I have some and I still wear them occasionally, though I prefer others these days for a variety of reasons that have little to do with the lack of vents.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Ventless jackets are part of the Continental look, which is often described as übersexy, sharp, phallic, trim and fitted, etc. A ventless back indeed hugs your butt in the most pleasant way; thus I don't see how being sexy is outdated.

Plus, no one cares about your vents, or your absence of vents.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
In and out of style is a touchy issue which can get you in all sorts of SF trouble. Depends whose style we refer to. GQ tells us style is no tie, squared toed shoes and that the largest orange faced dive watch is best suited for your wedding day.

In general no vents are not too much loved these days and have not been the "continental" (read Italian) look for the better part of 25+ years.

Italians and French have adopted the Brit dual vent look which seems to have the most SF approval ratings.

Judging by the large numbers available and cheapest prices of single and non vented jackets/suits on eBay and thrift stores it seems the market agrees.

FWIW

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony
In and out of style is a touchy issue which can get you in all sorts of SF trouble. Depends whose style we refer to. GQ tells us style is no tie, squared toed shoes and that the largest orange faced dive watch is best suited for your wedding day.

As much as I am not a GQ fan this isn't true.
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony
Italians and French have adopted the Brit dual vent look which seems to have the most SF approval ratings.

Have the French?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they're very practical... how do you sit down in them? I wouldn't buy one and I think it makes the jacket look old.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were so ubiquitous 15-25 years ago they look dated. To me, it looks like you are too cheap to buy a suit with vents, which requires a bit more tailoring. I think it's OK only if it a higher-end suit with a true Italian cut...if you buy one from Men's Scarehouse, you are asking to look like crap.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
As much as I am not a GQ fan this isn't true.

Have the French?

I stand corrected (see link). Got a bit carried away. Just saying in and out of style can get tricky, GQ tends to get carried away with short term trends that break more traditional rules.

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/fo...03/diver-watch

The french business suit style seems to mirror the Brits in many ways. Like their black shoes more than the Italians love brown. Dual vent seems to have the upper hand, thats all.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of style. Generally speaking, they are boxier suits. May look good on some, but IMHO they look lame.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think single vents have stopped being stylish just because they're out of fashion.
If you like a suit with a single vent, just go ahead and wear it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads