• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vent-less suits out of style now?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The style is correct for evening dress but not good otherwise. However fashion will bring back the style when manufacturers want to sell something different to increase sales. Change is all that interests them, not elegance.

Last edited:

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Guys I think that you are confusing style with fashion here. Style is something that is timeless, Fashion is something that happens by the day, week, or month. GQ only deals in fashion.

Ventless jackets may have been fashionable a whole lot of years ago, but they are not and were not ever stylish.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys I think that you are confusing style with fashion here. Style is something that is timeless, Fashion is something that happens by the day, week, or month. GQ only deals in fashion.
Ventless jackets may have been fashionable a whole lot of years ago, but they are not and were not ever stylish.

Sorry, your two paragraphs do not follow. As several people have already remarked, ventless jackets are timelessly stylish, when made well and when they fit.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Yeah I agree too. I think the problem with most ventless jackets is that they have a bad waist and that they're really baggy and american. my dad has a ventless d'avenza charcoal suit he gave me and it's so perfectly cut that I can't imagine it being out of date.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorry, your two paragraphs do not follow. As several people have already remarked, ventless jackets are timelessly stylish, when made well and when they fit. 

I agree - aesthetically and stylistically, they are very elegant. Dinner jackets should never be anything but. The issue with them is practicality, as sitting and putting hands in your trouser pockets can become more problematic and/or conducive to wrinkling the jacket.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

How can they possibly be timelessly stylish if they are out of style ( as per the OP thread header)

In my book, style cannot go out of style, but fashion always goes out of fashion, therefore ventless suits must have been fashionable and not stylish.

I agree, completely.

I am not sure what you agree with JJ? .... 1. that they are stylishly out of style, or, 2. stylishly out of fashion... or 3. fashionably out of style... wait, even i am confused at what you agree with

Yeah I agree too. I think the problem with most ventless jackets is that they have a bad waist and that they're really baggy and american. my dad has a ventless d'avenza charcoal suit he gave me and it's so perfectly cut that I can't imagine it being out of date.

NM I see that you also agree that ventless Jackets have a bad waist, and are really baggy, and are american. This is not stylish at all to my mind.

I agree - aesthetically and stylistically, they are very elegant. Dinner jackets should never be anything but. The issue with them is practicality, as sitting and putting hands in your trouser pockets can become more problematic and/or conducive to wrinkling the jacket.

I think that aesthetically and stylistically, ventless suit jackets look like steam ship funnels. I dont think steam ship funnels were ever in style, and if a guy did end up in one, i would want to rescue him, as i would also want to free the guy from the confinement of a problematic and wrinkling ventless jacket.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can they possibly be timelessly stylish if they are out of style ( as per the OP thread header)
In my book, style cannot go out of style, but fashion always goes out of fashion, therefore ventless suits must have been fashionable and not stylish.
I am not sure what you agree with JJ? .... 1. that they are stylishly out of style, or, 2. stylishly out of fashion... or 3. fashionably out of style... wait, even i am confused at what you agree with
NM I see that you also agree that ventless Jackets have a bad waist, and are really baggy, and are american. This is not stylish at all to my mind.
I think that aesthetically and stylistically, ventless suit jackets look like steam ship funnels. I dont think steam ship funnels were ever in style, and if a guy did end up in one, i would want to rescue him, as i would also want to free the guy from the confinement of a problematic and wrinkling ventless jacket.

Your speech is so bold.

In my humble opinion, if I see someone wearing ventless jackets, especially when wearing a suit, its just a clue they don't give two ***** about clothing, style, fashion or anything sartorial.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys I think that you are confusing style with fashion here. Style is something that is timeless...

This is often said on SF but is not entirely true. While it is true that style (as a concept) is timeless, style as it relates to clothing changes with the times and as lifestyles change.

Take exhibit "A", your local stylish friendly caveman:

6u0w7f8lktbwl8tw.jpg

Although he exueds "style" and not fashion, his look would not be accepted in your modern every-day setting.

Exhibit "B":

toga1.jpg

While the toga may be comfortable, practical, and let the boys breathe a senator who showed up to work wearing this would be asked to change out of his bedsheets.

Exhibit "C":

1-knight-armor.jpg

Although practical for ancient warfare, this stylish ensamble would be seen as a costume today.

Exhibit "D":

thumbnailCA1HC9FA.jpg

The modern inventions of the horseless carriage and ac/heating made this stylish ensamble obsolete.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think you're missing his point - he's saying most ventless jackets tend to be not cut well. This is unrelated to the fact of them being ventless. He gives the counterexample in his next sentence.

So you think tuxedo jackets look like steam ship funnels?

Last edited:

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think you're missing his point - he's saying most ventless jackets tend to be not cut well. This is unrelated to the fact of them being ventless. He gives the counterexample in his next sentence.
So you think tuxedo jackets look like steam ship funnels?

It's actually worse, they look like a wool condom draped over the wearer (at least for us taller gents, especially from behind). Which is exactly why I specifically hunted down a double vented tux for myself when the time came. Sure, it's not the "standard", but at least I made an informed decision in selecting it and can explain to the questioner why theirs looks like crap, traditions be damned! :slayer:

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's actually worse, they look like a wool condom draped over the wearer (at least for us taller gents, especially from behind). Which is exactly why I specifically hunted down a double vented tux for myself when the time came. Sure, it's not the "standard", but at least I made an informed decision in selecting it and can explain to the questioner why theirs looks like crap, traditions be damned! :slayer:

Sorry didn't realize you alone held the key to unlock the secrets of the tuxedo. Thank you for explaining to the rest of us, and the hundred years of tuxedo-wearers that came before you, why we look like crap.

deandbn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sorry didn't realize you alone held the key to unlock the secrets of the tuxedo. Thank you for explaining to the rest of us, and the hundred years of tuxedo-wearers that came before you, why we look like crap.

Well.... at least you know how to fix it now, get your funnels looking a lot more 'rakish', did I say rakish, sorry I meant stylish. :D

Vent, or double vent them and let all that hot air out!! :embar:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well.... at least you know how to fix it now, get your funnels looking a lot more 'rakish', did I say rakish, sorry I meant stylish. :D
Vent, or double vent them and let all that hot air out!! :embar:

I don't even own a tuxedo. I think I have one ventless jacket. Personally I prefer double vents. I find single vents unattractive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads