• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velvet slippers with Black Tie

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thoughts?

I don't really like patent leather, want something more fun than polished up business shoes, but don't think I can pull off dainty opera pumps. I think these fit the bill. this is obviously to wear with a dinner suit, at my wedding

velvet.JPG

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do it.

Will C.

Reaction score
They're something to wear at home. They'll be alright if the party is at your home.

If the party is elsewhere wear black patent leather wholecuts.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
They're something to wear at home. They'll be alright if the party is at your home.

party is not at home...

but to be clear these are leather soled, they are not indoor house slippers

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
party is not at home... but to be clear these are leather soled, they are not indoor house slippers
I noticed the soles. They're Albert slippers. They are indeed more formal than Grecians, but they're still house slippers, something a host would wear with his velvet smoking jacket, probably not with numerous company, just with family or a small intimate dinner with a few guests. I'm not saying you can't break these old codes, but the fact that you're asking makes me think you probably care about them to some degree, so there it is... edit: to be honest I've had my eye on black patent leather wholecuts for a while, but haven't come up with anything. Any suggestions from other members? OP, simple black captoes in patent leather will be fine too. That look (with the patent leather) is hardly typical of 'business' at all.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It has been mentioned, but I'll just back it up. The velvet slippers were traditionally only worn in one's home.

With that said, I have that exact pair and I wear them exclusively in place of patent leather, as I, like you, am not a huge fan of patent leather. Though, the only occasion I need my tuxedo for at the moment is gigs, so it's not exactly a traditional, formal setting. If you do wear them, you'll still look far more dapper than the blokes who show up in notch-lapel, two-button, vented tuxedos.

I'll mention they are a slightly clunky last for me, not as streamlined as an EG, but they represented a decent value as I copped them on eBay for far less. There is a compromise, in that some makers do offer that same shape in a polished calf, like an opera pump without the bow.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 330CK
There is a compromise, in that some makers do offer that same shape in a polished calf, like an opera pump without the bow.

examples of this?

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
examples of this?

I'm looking for you right now. I don't remember exactly where I've seen it, but I have seen it before.

Here is something close, though not close enough that I'd wear it at this occasion:

http://www.skyvalet1.com/Bamford.aspx

Available in calf, but the brogue kills it. And it's still a casual, 'house shoe' deal.

Unfortunately, I don't have more time to look right now. Hopefully someone else can post what I've seen before.

emptym

Reaction score
^Alfred Sargent has one in their Handrade line too. The pic on their site has a medallion as well, but all their shoes can be done MTO and at different quality and price levels.
Originally Posted by Will C.
... edit: to be honest I've had my eye on black patent leather wholecuts for a while, but haven't come up with anything. Any suggestions from other members? OP, simple black captoes in patent leather will be fine too. That look (with the patent leather) is hardly typical of 'business' at all.
Ouch. I don't think patent captoes are a good idea. Patent wholecuts imho are one step better, but just a short step. I'd do this: (1) if I wore a tux often (3-4 times a year) and had the money, I'd go w/ a black patent slip on or plain toe oxford, since they're what's most appropriate. But I'm no lover of patent leather either. (2) if I wore a tux rarely and had the money, I'd get a black slip on or plain toed oxford in good calf leather that could be worn w/ normal clothes but polished well for wear w/ a tux. (3) if I didn't have the money, but had a pair of black calf captoe oxfords, I'd wear those, shined well. (4) if I didn't have the money or a pair of black calf captoe oxfords, I'd wear whichever shoe I had that was close to that (black wholecuts would fit here, as would black derbies, black chelsea boots, maybe even chukkas.) (5) If I didn't have any black shoes, I'd get a pair of plain oxfords of as high quality as I could afford. Maybe slip ons. I would get the velvet slippers for use w/ a tux if I really loved them or could get them for a really low price. In either of these cases, they might leap straight to the top of my list, or at least to #2.5. Black suede would be higher on my list than velvet though, since the look would be similar and they'd be more durable.

Icehawk

Reaction score
I wore Broadlands slippers to a recent black tie event and I must be honest, I think they look better than patent captoes. They have the added benefit of working with other outifts whereas it is difficult to find much to do with patent captoes or opera pumps.

Broadland can make whatever you want if you talk to them - if I was doing it again I'd have the grosgrain trim swapped for satin or leather.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
I wore Broadlands slippers to a recent black tie event and I must be honest, I think they look better than patent captoes. They have the added benefit of working with other outifts whereas it is difficult to find much to do with patent captoes or opera pumps.

Broadland can make whatever you want if you talk to them - if I was doing it again I'd have the grosgrain trim swapped for satin or leather.

Which ones did you wear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads