1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Velvet Men's Sports Jacket/Blazer tips

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Happy Highwayman, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Happy Highwayman

Happy Highwayman Member

I would like to buy a midnight blue or "midnight green" (see link) Velvet sports jacket/blazer. The Dries Van Notten one I saw in Esquire:
    http://www.esquire.com/style/dries-van-noten-velvet-cotton-blazer-simple-style-0912

is $945 and I could likely have it made for 1/3rd the amount.

What tips do you have for having such a garment made? Is there a grade of velvet I should specify? Are you paying $945 for the name or the quality?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

If you're having something made for around $300, it's probably not going to be that great...Ariston makes really nice cotton velvet, but the fabric alone might cost that much.

3. Happy Highwayman

Happy Highwayman Member

Where do you typically buy your fabrics online?

Do you then give them to your tailor?

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

You can't buy Ariston fabrics directly, I don't think. You have to get them through your tailor. Other fabrics you can buy directly, but still I just go through my tailor because that allows me to look through a lot of fabric books and get the tailor's advice on which fabric to use.