1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Velvet Men's Sports Jacket/Blazer tips

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Happy Highwayman, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Happy Highwayman

Happy Highwayman Member

I would like to buy a midnight blue or "midnight green" (see link) Velvet sports jacket/blazer. The Dries Van Notten one I saw in Esquire:
    http://www.esquire.com/style/dries-van-noten-velvet-cotton-blazer-simple-style-0912

is $945 and I could likely have it made for 1/3rd the amount.

What tips do you have for having such a garment made? Is there a grade of velvet I should specify? Are you paying $945 for the name or the quality?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you're having something made for around $300, it's probably not going to be that great...Ariston makes really nice cotton velvet, but the fabric alone might cost that much.

3. Happy Highwayman

Happy Highwayman Member

Where do you typically buy your fabrics online?

Do you then give them to your tailor?

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

You can't buy Ariston fabrics directly, I don't think. You have to get them through your tailor. Other fabrics you can buy directly, but still I just go through my tailor because that allows me to look through a lot of fabric books and get the tailor's advice on which fabric to use.