• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velvet jacket by Oliver Brown Chelsea?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am considering order of a bottle green velvet jacket by Oliver Brown (Chelsea) without silk cord. I would appreciate any suggestion or criticism.

Frodo

Reaction score
This might come in handy:

31T8lXPYduL._SS500_.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr.
I am considering order of a bottle green velvet jacket by Oliver Brown (Chelsea) without silk cord. I would appreciate any suggestion or criticism.
I like the idea of velvet, a bit decadent and louche. I'd personally go for a darker colour though. Bear in mind that velvet is quite delicate and doesn't respond well to being rained on whatever it's incarnation.

Frodo

Reaction score
I agree - it's on my short list of wonderful things that I wish weren't now considered costume. I'd love to wear velvet suits for parties and such, without being laughed at.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
I agree - it's on my short list of wonderful things that I wish weren't now considered costume. I'd love to wear velvet suits for parties and such, without being laughed at.
Well, a suit maybe pushing it, a bit too Oscar Wilde but I could see it working as an odd jacket in a dark blue or maybe a dark brown with jeans. Has a bit of a rock star vibe. With clothes like this it depends where you live and where you hang out.

Frodo

Reaction score
It looks great with a ruffled shirt - seriously. Only thing that does, in my opinion. Like I said, parties. Parties and hangings...that's about it.

Or stylish arguments...
fight[1].gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
It looks great with a ruffled shirt - seriously. Only thing that does, in my opinion. Like I said, parties. Parties and hangings...that's about it. Or stylish arguments...
fight[1].gif

That could work. Personally, I'd wear a floral shirt in a Liberty print or some such with 70's size collars but not worn over the jacket like they did in the 70's. I'd also wear some really flamboyant cuff links as well.

Frodo

Reaction score
Surgeon cuffs unbuttoned and rolled up...arm wrestling with two girls at once...

Saltricks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr.
Is this device to smooth or brush the velvet?

Being facetious?

It's a strainer for absinthe. You put a sugar cube on top and light it on fire as you pour absinthe over it.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, I appreciate all remarks in regard to colour. I sent Katharine Deal at Oliver Brown a newspaper photograph of a current film "Queen Victoria or Elisabeth" in which the young queen wears a dark turquoise (my spelling is inaccurate) coat because at the moment I believed the dark turkis far more beautiful than bottle green. Yesterday I was advised that blue is the most beautiful velvet for a jacket.

I was told my another person - a clothes designer - that velvet wears too quickly.

I can use an umbrella.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Laughter doesn't bother me much. I wasn't thinking about a suit, but I encountered opposition when I expressed my inclination for velvet trousers in the future.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Well, a suit maybe pushing it, a bit too Oscar Wilde but I could see it working as an odd jacket in a dark blue or maybe a dark brown with jeans. Has a bit of a rock star vibe.

With clothes like this it depends where you live and where you hang out.

Goerge, you are on the ball. A suit maybe might be a later step in my evolution, but at present I consider a jacket or separate trousers. Dark blue was recommended to me today as the most beautiful velvet jacket. Dark brown is not explicitly offered by Oliver Brown. I'm rather tired of brown, but beauty refreshes. Strange how certain items stimulate the image of artists. I asked on Ask Andy about waistcoat/vest and got infinite photographs of musicians. I didn't realise this connection. I don't identify with any music star.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads