• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Velvet Dinner Jacket Question

josiahj

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking at purchasing a burgundy velvet dinner jacket for a Christmas party I'll be hosting this year (it's meant to be a somewhat formal affair, but still a relaxed atmosphere and fun for everybody). I came across a burgundy velvet shawl collar dinner jacket in my size from Suitsupply, but noticed that unlike most dinner jackets I'd seen the lapels were velvet like the rest of the jacket, as opposed to a satin or grosgrain facing. Is this still acceptable or must lapels on a velvet dinner jacket be faced and contrasting? I've attached a picture of the jacket in question.

Thanks!

75cb066d3c0448d42d6c09d6e3f58f86.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's perfectly fine to have self-faced lapels and I think it's a pretty good look, especially on burgundy velvet. There's a Lawrence Fellows illustration that shows a guy in a DB burgundy dinner jacket, so it must be okay!

josiahj

Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the reassurance. Follow-up question, would black grosgrain-covered buttons or matching velvet-covered buttons be more appropriate in this instance? Or is it another minutiae that doesn't matter one way or another? Thanks again!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the reassurance. Follow-up question, would black grosgrain-covered buttons or matching velvet-covered buttons be more appropriate in this instance? Or is it another minutiae that doesn't matter one way or another? Thanks again!
If you're going with self-faced lapels, then I'd at least attempt to get velvet-covered buttons. If not possible, I'd probably go with grosgrain covered ones. I don't think it's a matter of correctness, but what looks good to your eye.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Not sure about propriety, but I also think dark grey mother-of-pearl buttons can look good on a dark color velvet dinner jacket, particularly if it's a shawl lapel, like the one you've posted.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 114 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 103 30.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%