• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

velvet collar for overcoat?

The Happy Nomad

Reaction score
I am having a grey wool chesterfield overcoat made (slight waist, slanted pockets, button at the top, and notched lapels as advised here) and have always loved the look of a black velvet collar. I am having this done at Kachins in Mumbai with whom I have been very pleased with suits and shirts.

Could anyone advise me on the concerns I might have about the black velvet collar?

-how well does it take rain and inclimate weather? (it is dyed, so...)

-Is there a specific type of velvet I should ask for? (the tailor actually insisted that felt is used here, but I didn't think so and came back to this forum to check).

-Does the black velvet limit me in any way as to being too formal?

Finally (and I have read everything on this forum about overcoats), any further advise, thoughts, or questions are welcome.

Thanks!

stach

Reaction score
I would ask for duvetyn velvet. It's the thickest.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is velvet made of 100% silk. also, I would suggest that you save enough coat material to switch out the collar in case you're not happy with velvet.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Most of the velvet labelled 100% silk is made with a pure silk backing but rayon (or other synthetic) pile. There are a few upholstery velvets where both components are silk (eg Northcroft Fabrics in the UK), but their cloth is a little too heavy for clothing.

Aus

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A velvet-collared Chesterfield is not too formal for daily wear.
FeisalPartyAtVersaillesCopy.jpg
Note the Chesterfield on the left.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Rereading the OP I think that an upholstery silk velvet would be exactly what you are after. Northcroft will send you a sample of this 100% silk on request. The appearance is quite different from that of cotton or synthetic velvets.

drake

Reaction score
This picture is awesome.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
A velvet-collared Chesterfield is not too formal for daily wear.

FeisalPartyAtVersaillesCopy.jpg

Note the Chesterfield on the left.

pejsek

Reaction score
Hm, haven't we done this velvet thing before?
I think Aus_MD is on the right track. Most upholstery grade velvet probably wouldn't be too heavy for a collar and would, in fact, have just the wear-resistant properties you are looking for (commercial grade upholstery is often rated in terms of 'double rubs', basically the number of times the fabric can be rubbed back and forth before it begins to abrade--just guessing, but a good upholstery velvet would likely have a double-rub rating of 30,000-50,000, which is good news for a collar). Good silk velvet--and I'm not sure much of any other kind is being made these days--has a great sheen and a wonderfully plush luxurious feel. I really like mohair velvet, traditionally the hardest wearing of this sort of fabric. I've seen an amazing mohair velvet from the textile merchant Clarence House that would be just perfect for a collar--a short dense pile for the ages.
Just a suggestion, but if I were making a grey coat I probably wouldn't use a black collar. To my mind a more subtle contrast is best (since you are already getting contrast by way of the material). I have a bespoke camel chesterfield with a velvet collar of nearly the same color (or perhaps a shade lighter) which I like very much. The lower contrast knocks it down a bit on the formality scale (which may or may not be something you want).
If you think you might be interested in grey, I believe I have a small silvery grey velvet mohair remnant that I would be happy to give you. I could send you a small piece if you'd like to check the color and texture. It's an upholstery grade velvet from Brunschwig & Fils with an interesting longish pile that I have left over from a sofa.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am looking in The "Harrisons of Edinburgh" book, "Covert Coatings and Velvet Collars" The velvet samples are 100% cotton and seem very sturdy.
The times I have made Chesterfields I used cotton velvet with good results.

I also use light weight velvet for the inside pocketing. Feels great when it is cold out and you aren't wearing gloves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads