• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Velasca Shoes

Kochegar

Reaction score
I took advantage of this year's BF discounts to pick up some boots and a pair of 'Spazzacamin.' I love the longwing blucher look combined with the short, rounded lasts Velasca uses. I'll post some pictures a little later.

For now, I'm looking for your thoughts on this much-discussed blake-stitch construction. Below we can see the topside of the stitch on the insole and the backside on the outsole... so far so good (though surely this should have been sunk into a channel on the outsole??).

However, there's also stitching around the outside of the shoe that's not visible on the underside. Is this just an attempt to give the appearance of a blake-rapid or Goodyear construction?

Hi

1. Stitching will wear out, not so dangerous though. Agree with you that the way stitching is made is not optimal
2. These are Blake-stiched, welt stitching is fake. Before 2017 Velasca made Blake-Rapid with rubber soles.

LB_J

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Indeed, Velasca confirmed that the welt stitching is for show.

Black Bear

Reaction score
When the stitches on the rubber outsole of my Velasca's started tearing, I asked customer service about this and was told that the visible stitches are purely aesthetic and that the real welt is underneath the rubber sole. Is this even possible?

LB_J

Reaction score
When the stitches on the rubber outsole of my Velasca's started tearing, I asked customer service about this and was told that the visible stitches are purely aesthetic and that the real welt is underneath the rubber sole. Is this even possible?

As long as your Velasca's are of the blake-stitched variety, the topside of the structural stitching is under your foot (in some models you can peer inside and see it). The underside of that blake-stitch is what you see on the outsole. The 'welt' stitching seems to be for show, though they do make a handful of goodyear-welted shoes (in their current line-up these seem to be the Polentatts, Sfrosadors and Questurins.)

Black Bear

Reaction score
As long as your Velasca's are of the blake-stitched variety, the topside of the structural stitching is under your foot (in some models you can peer inside and see it). The underside of that blake-stitch is what you see on the outsole. The 'welt' stitching seems to be for show, though they do make a handful of goodyear-welted shoes (in their current line-up these seem to be the Polentatts, Sfrosadors and Questurins.)

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the white stitches underneath the outsole, not the fake welt.

This was the reply I got:

"Hi Paul, thanks for your question.
The outhern stitching are just estethical, (so if they fade is not a problem). The real seaming is inside and non visible."

Canlad

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I meant the white stitches underneath the outsole, not the fake welt.

This was the reply I got:

"Hi Paul, thanks for your question.
The outhern stitching are just estethical, (so if they fade is not a problem). The real seaming is inside and non visible."
I didn't realize the outside stitch is also just for show. It sounds like the outsole is glued on. This is adding to my decision not to buy anymore shoes from Velasca. I really like the look of their shoes, but they charging a hefty premium for a lot of shortcuts. There are plenty of online shoemakers offering GYW shoes with similar leather quality at a lower, in some case way lower, price point.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should also be noted that the Goodyear welted models have corrected grain leather instead, so another shortcut added to those instead. My choice from Velasca would be the few models they still do Blake/Rapid with.

LB_J

Reaction score
I didn't realize the outside stitch is also just for show. It sounds like the outsole is glued on. This is adding to my decision not to buy anymore shoes from Velasca. I really like the look of their shoes, but they charging a hefty premium for a lot of shortcuts. There are plenty of online shoemakers offering GYW shoes with similar leather quality at a lower, in some case way lower, price point.

The blake stitching on the underside is structural, though once it gets torn up (which seems to be happening--the stitches are pretty exposed) then it's only really glue keeping everything together. The aesthetic stitching is on the 'welt':

IMG_2744[25755].jpg

Black Bear

Reaction score
I own four pairs of Velasca shoes, all with rubber soles. Although I like them, I must say I'm feeling a little scammed right now... But all four pairs have been bought with discounts, so it's not that bad.

I might still buy a pair of blake/rapid shoes from them in the future, although I'd like to check out other brands too.

Oyhc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having a look at their current line and these semi-brogues called Travetto. I mean at $335 this is no more a "budget" option per se, what is the consensus here, are they worth it? I guess for 50 bucks more you can afford a TLB Mallorca, which seems to be several steps ahead in terms of design and quality..?

Canlad

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having a look at their current line and these semi-brogues called Travetto. I mean at $335 this is no more a "budget" option per se, what is the consensus here, are they worth it? I guess for 50 bucks more you can afford a TLB Mallorca, which seems to be several steps ahead in terms of design and quality..?

Yeah, it's impossible for me to view Velasca as a "budget" anymore. I like the shoes I got around $150 or so, but they have consistently increased price without increasing quality. There are several options for a similar or better shoe for less. I have no need for more shoes at this point, but when I am in the market again, my money would be better spent at Meermin, Beckett Simonon, or Thursday Boots if I'm wanting an "inexpensive" shoe option. At $300+, I think you can get a GYW shoe with better leather.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
I just ordered my first pair of Velasca shoes. I ordered their Tyrolean-type shoe, the Barbee, in beige suede. They listed for 245 USD but with 20% off using Code: WINTER21, I pulled the trigger.

I was looking for a spring season shoe that fell somewhere between something more refined than Clark’s Wallabees and less expensive than Paraboot’s Michael. With the sale price, The Barbee came in at just under $200 (with free shipping and returns). They should be arriving this week. Photos are from Velasca website.
9403C652-B582-4A4E-8B79-30FE33BC2EE0.jpeg
8575476C-51FE-4B83-8771-3DE84EC4F4E4.jpeg
2E9B0755-6FA1-4E80-8FE3-010D0FEF29CF.jpeg
BB1BE5BD-244B-4ECF-8B7E-5FB788C63E63.jpeg

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find insfo on Velasco sizing, specifically for these shoes. I’ll be waiting anxiously to hear back on your experience. I’m looking for a replacement for my Padmore and Barnes version, true Wallabees seem like a step down in quality and the Maple colorway doesn’t seem like a true Beige. These seem perfect.

I just ordered my first pair of Velasca shoes. I ordered their Tyrolean-type shoe, the Barbee, in beige suede. They listed for 245 USD but with 20% off using Code: WINTER21, I pulled the trigger.

I was looking for a spring season shoe that fell somewhere between something more refined than Clark’s Wallabees and less expensive than Paraboot’s Michael. With the sale price, The Barbee came in at just under $200 (with free shipping and returns). They should be arriving this week. Photos are from Velasca website. View attachment 1555827 View attachment 1555828 View attachment 1555829 View attachment 1555830

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads