• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vegetarians/vegans

Phil

Reaction score
(meaculpa @ Mar. 09 2005,18:18) It rots in your lower intestine because it's too long, it has chemicals that I can't even pronounce, and hormones that haven't been properly tested.
Don't forget it increases the chance of ED
Saying things like meat rots your intestines and can cause ED are really as much generalizations as anything else, and who knows if they are truly accurate. My grandfathers generation (and my grandad in particular) ate bacon 3 times a day, steak 5 nights a week, drank a highball of scotch every night after work, and hes chugging along pushing 80. His mother lived to 98, on basically the same diet (including a 3 pack a day habit). I think it really comes down to genetics. There are the most severe vegans who drop dead of heart disease at 45, and the there are people who totally abuse their bodies who live to 100. I plan on being the latter.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree on the generalities. There have been countless studies on the causes of eating meat. Yes genetics plays a huge role but it increases the likely hood in many by doing so. I just have one article now that i read a few days ago about gout and eating meat. http://www.sjo.org/healthyliving/nut...ritiongout.htm

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
I am a conflicted leather-swathed vegetarian. I have arrived at the same point as others that I do what I can.

Most of my leather goods are vintage, so I am not directly contributing as much to the slaughter industry. But that is justifying. And I am good at that, justifying. I have reached back on occasion to the story of Adam and Eve where God gave them clothes of animal skin to protect them after they were cast out, shelter from the ramifications of sin. Certain other cultures derive the spirit and protection of the animal they wear.

But, you know what? I just love me that leather.

Phil

Reaction score
Im not saying I entirely disagree with you, all I am saying is there are as many arguments for as against the adverse effects of everything, including meat. Ofourse if you eat too much red meat you will have a higher chance of getting gout, as well as a million other things. Likewise, many vegetarians have problems with iron deficiency. Its all about moderation and a sensible diet. To completely eliminate red meat because if you over-indulge you might get gout is a bit silly. Thats like referencing an article that says if you drink too much scotch you will get liver disease. Ofcouse we all know this, but that doesnt stop a reasonable and responsible person from having a drink every now and again. A quick scan of the internet will turn up countless articles, written by any number of fringe groups, that will endorse or slam just about everything. At the end of day, eat sensibly, dont overeat, eat a variety of foods spanning from liverwurst to lima beans, and you should make out ok.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was once a vegetarian and almost vegan.  This was during college and before I was really concerned with style, so I can say that I did wear 'pleather' shoes and belts.

To the point above regarding the health concerns around eating meat, there are probably an equal number of articles that could be cited regarding the health concerns of not.

The initial reason that I stopped eating meat was actually health related.  I found that as an active, athletic young man, it was nearly impossible to consume enough protein to meet my body's needs.  Most of the protein from non-animal sources is virtually unusable and supplements, such as soy, are riddled with female hormones.  Without going too far into my experience, I became considerably more healthy when I went back to meat.  I found my vegetarian experience quite concerning given that I researched a great deal and ate as an 'educated vegetarian'....and I still felt like sh*t (if you'll pardon the expression).

Lastly, if we only look at the decision as one of health, I would rather take the risk and enjoy my life than live to be 100 eating brussel sprouts and carrots.

justlurkingthanks

Reaction score
Mr. Boogers:

Vegetarians can eat as badly as anyone else. I was a pizzatarian for a while. Not quite the top of health I was. But once I ate more fruit and vegetables I felt 1000 times better. Humans process non-animal protein better.

I love what I eat. It just takes a while for your palate to adjust and you have to work to find what you like. Children quite often don't like meat immediately, it takes some acquiring. Same goes for an enormous shift in diet later in life. So, a raw brussel sprout or carrot is not likely to be too appetizing but try something with them. Roasted vegetables, for example, are delectable.

Demeter

Reaction score
The initial reason that I stopped eating meat was actually health related. I found that as an active, athletic young man, it was nearly impossible to consume enough protein to meet my body's needs. Most of the protein from non-animal sources is virtually unusable and supplements, such as soy, are riddled with female hormones. Without going too far into my experience, I became considerably more healthy when I went back to meat. I found my vegetarian experience quite concerning given that I researched a great deal and ate as an 'educated vegetarian'....and I still felt like sh*t (if you'll pardon the expression). Lastly, if we only look at the decision as one of health, I would rather take the risk and enjoy my life than live to be 100 eating brussel sprouts and carrots.
Absolutely, categorically untrue. Up until last year I was competitive in martial arts on an international level (IAKSA, IKA), and from the words of the national team's coach, I was 'like a bull,' albeit a little underweight for my 6'2" stature. You just have to know what to eat, man. Don't quote me on this, but I think there are foods out there that give you more protein per gram than the average slab of meat. As for 'enjoying life' being defined as a side-effect of enjoying meat, I can argue with that as well. I've been fortunate enough to enjoy foods from every corner of the globe and for the most part I've never been able to understand why it is that in any upscale restaurant you'll be hard-pressed to find a vegetarian dish. Isn't it much harder to prepare something that doesn't have steak as a centerpiece? I don't know, but my mother's a chef and made meat dishes that to this day (eight years later) make my mouth water, and I still think that the best food I've ever eaten has been vegetarian. Disclaimer: I think something like this is a lifestyle choice, and everyone's welcome to their own opinions. The aforementioned ones are my own, from my own experiences. Just don't want anyone thinking that I'm peaching.
tounge.gif

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't quote me on this, but I think there are foods out there that give you more protein per gram than the average slab of meat.
There is or are equal too, they are these fake italian suasage things. They are 29g of protein per serving (one sausage), i don't have the package right now so i can't remember the name but they are only 3oz i believe or 4, which is roughly equivelent to beef.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PROTEIN AVERAGE SCORE [PER METHOD]
Egg 9.25
Whey 8.20
Casein 7.80
Milk 7.80
Fish 7.50
Soy 7.20
Peanut 7.00
Pork 6.50
Rice 6.30
Beef 6.30
Wheat 6.00
Corn 3.50
Beans 3.50

BIOLOGICAL VALUE[BV]

The BV is an accurate indicator of biological activity of protein, measuring the actual amount of protein deposited per gram of protein absorbed. BV measure of protein quality expresses the rate of efficiency with which protein is used for growth. As a rule-of thumb, high BV-proteins are better for nitrogen retention, immunity, IGF-1 stimulation, and are superior for reducing lean tissue loss from various wasting states than proteins with a low BV score. Generally, high BV-proteins are more anti-catabolic than low BV- proteins.[2] STRENGTH TRAINING applications favor dietary protein sources with a high biological value. On a scale with 100 representing MAX-efficiency, these are the biological values[BV] of proteins in several foods.[3]:

PROTEIN BV*
Egg 93.7
Milk 84.5
Fish 76.0
Beef 74.3
Soybeans 72.8
Rice, polished 64.0
Wheat, whole 64.0
Corn 60.0
Beans, dry 58.0

Brian SD

Reaction score
Genetics do have the greatest hold on your lifespan it seems, but in a general sense, vegetarians do on average live longer (that I've heard). I know I know, correlation does not necessarily cause causation. It could very well be related to the fact that if a person is willing to adjust their lifestyle to become vegetarian, they likely are concerned with their general health as well and will take better care of themselves.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think genetics are going to play a major part, however, if you look at the average life expectancy among countries, the Japanese are among the highest, and they certainly aren't vegetarian, although they eat less red meat than the US, certainly.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm not one myself, but out of curiosity, if someone morally objects to wearing clothing made of animal products, what kind of dress shoes do they buy?
Big difference in a vegan and a PETA member, I killed a rabbit today by accident that shot in front of my car on the way to work, I was sadden by the fact, but it is not going to stop me from wearing leather shoes, however a PETA member would have dropped his life to probably have tried to save its' life.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm trying not to get involved in this debate because one of my cousins is an animal rights activist and I go through this fairly often, but I think it's a bit difficult to avoid a little hypocrisy.

StreetLaw

Reaction score
(StreetLaw @ Mar. 09 2005,18:18) Besides, what's wrong with a little hypocricy?
TFF. I'm considering adopting this as my new motto. StreetLaw, would I owe you royalties. If so, what kind of arrangement might we reach?
Any time someone pays you for using your new motto, I get 10%. (I'll donate it to PETA). How's that .
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads