1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

vegetarians/vegans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

But cows are a renewable resource. Â [​IMG]

2. demeis

demeis Distinguished Member

Stripes you shouldn't feel bad about wearing leather cause i was in the same prediciment as you. If you are a vegetarian for ethically reasons you do what you can like you said and i have come to this realization as well. But you also have to ask your self do you drink milk (which is a product of the veal industry) or eat eggs (which also creates a lot of harm to chicken by cutting off their beaks and then forcing them into egg cycles). So by doing those things its hard to be doing it for ethical reasons unless your a vegan then it would be somewhat hypocritical. Also if people point it out its your choice you don't like meat so you won't eat it, its not for everyone and why would they care. If you feel bad i have heard about synthetic leathers that do look real but have yet to see them or find them. Hope this makes sense and i'm not ranting aimlessly. Damn midterm week.

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

i gotta disagree with the above

4. StreetLaw

StreetLaw Well-Known Member

I've been vegan now for 7 years, and own all kinds of leather (couch, loveseat, car seats, shoes, belts...)

I don't see it as hypocritical - I do things for my own reasons.

Besides, what's wrong with a little hypocricy?

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes" - Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

5. esquire.

esquire. Distinguished Member

I thought when we earlier discussed this topic before, people pointed out that higher quality leather comes from animals raised specifically for their leather.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

(stripes22 @ Mar. 09 2005,15:13) Like someone earlier in the thread said--buying good quality products minimizes the quantity of leather products needed. I try to follow that rule as well.
    I thought when we earlier discussed this topic before, people pointed out that higher quality leather comes from animals raised specifically for their leather.
    I think he means that higher quality leather lasts longer, which means you need to kill less animals to make it.

7. demeis

(esquire. @ Mar. 09 2005,16:41)
    Like someone earlier in the thread said--buying good quality products minimizes the quantity of leather products needed. Â I try to follow that rule as well.
    I think he means that higher quality leather lasts longer, which means you need to kill less animals to make it.
    correct at least in my thinking

8. Demeter

Demeter Senior Member

Oh? How so?

9. demeis

Originally Posted by demeis,Mar. 09 2005,14:59
    OH and one thing vegans are usually the activist type any vegetarian who says they are an animal rights activist is lying because you can't really be if you aren't vegan.
    Oh? How so?
    I ment that as a generality because being a vegetarian and a vegan are alittle bit different. Â People who are vegetarians and animal rights activist (who preach about not supporting the harm and destruction of animals) haven't looked to far into the subject at hand. Â Being vegetarian you eat milk and eggs. Â We'll start with milk first. Â Milk is a direct product of the veal industry. Â You have to keep the cows pregnant, they give birth and a vast majority of these calfs are sent either for leather production or for veal consumption, so by supporting milk you are indirectly supporting veal and calf leather. Â By eating eggs you are supporting the harm of chickens. Â They first have their beaks seared/cut off, which is one of the most sensitive parts of their body, so when they are forced into continual egg cycles and end up going crazy they won't peck the other birds in the cage to death. Â Now what i ment and sorry i wasn't clear on this if you are not eating meat for ethical reason (not supporting the harm of animals) but are doing the latter two you are being somewhat contradictory. Â Now granted there is farm fresh eggs and milk so there is some leway with this subject. Â I didn't mean it in an offensive way i just hate when people say they don't eat meat due to ethics and don't like harming and supporting the destruction and pain/"torture" of animals and then down a glass of milk with some eggs. edit: Oh and i was one of those contradictary people for a little while (it was ethics, meat was somewhat disgusting to me, and i had health reason as well) till i actually educated myself better on the subject, that when i started to wear leather again. I just can't give up milk and eggs

10. Demeter

Demeter Senior Member

I'm a vegetarian (meat, fish, eggs, by-products), and wearing leather shoes has nothing to do with choosing not to eat meat, unless you do so specifically for ethical reasons. I don't eat meat for health reasons. It rots in your lower intestine because it's too long, it has chemicals that I can't even pronounce, and hormones that haven't been properly tested.

But even if your convictions are ethical in nature, I think a couple of people mentioned that far more cows are killed for food than are used in leather goods. I remember seeing an Indian instrument called a 'Mrdanga,' I think. It's essentially a two-sided drum, but the membrane was made out of leather. Since I knew that the cow was considered the holiest of animals in India, I asked about it and got pretty much that reply.

I suppose if you go into something exotic like croc skin, it's a different story since it could be argued that there you're helping to create a market, I suppose.

11. demeis

Don't forget it increases the chance of ED

12. Demeter

Demeter Senior Member

Y'know it's nice to see someone actually back their arguments up with some oomph.

I see exactly what you mean and can't argue against it. Of course it runs even deeper, what with the use of renate (sp?) in cheese, etc.

Luckily there's a small farm near my place (I live way out in the boonies) that gives fresh milk from its family of cows, so I can, for the time being, avoid being a hypocrite.

13. pb2q

pb2q New Member

The drumheads of the Mrindangam are (probably) made of goatskin. That's why Ghandi was such an awful drummer (too much with the ahimsa).

Patrick the Pedant

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Stylish Dinosaur

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    TFF.

I'm considering adopting this as my new motto. StreetLaw, would I owe you royalties. If so, what kind of arrangement might we reach?

15. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

l used to be a vegan for years. l could never join the vegan society because l always wore leather sole shoes.