• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegetarian Snacks/Recipes

randomax

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
123
Reaction score
1
Since there are a few vegetarians/vegans on this forum, I thought it would be nice to start a thread where people can share snacks and recipes that are healthy, high in protein and have good nutritional values.

Two snacks that I really like and have been having on a daily basis are edamame (very high in protein, low carbs/fats, low sodium/cholestrol) and the other is nuts (healthy fats and calorie rich).

Let's add to the list.
 

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
2,406
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by randomax
Since there are a few vegetarians/vegans on this forum, I thought it would be nice to start a thread where people can share snacks and recipes that are healthy, high in protein and have good nutritional values.

Two snacks that I really like and have been having on a daily basis are edamame (very high in protein, low carbs/fats, low sodium/cholestrol) and the other is nuts (healthy fats and calorie rich).

Let's add to the list.


Edamame are soy, be careful with that
 

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
8,576
Reaction score
4,113
I try not to 'snack' I would rather have a good breakfast then a piece of fresh fruit lunch and then around 3pm eat again.

I find Olives good to have on hand and fresh fruit. Fresh or dried dates, other wise if really peckish I would have a slice of spelt bread with tahini.
 

randomax

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
123
Reaction score
1
The biggest problem I face is to get enough calories in (I'm weight training and trying to gain weight) without it being too heavy in carbs/fats and following a vegetarian diet. I feel edamame in that sense is pretty phenomenal. There's the whole soy theory but I don't think I'm currently eating enough soy to be worried about it.
 

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
2,762
Reaction score
7
For the love of your health, I implore you, eat some meat. That being said, If I were to recommend a vegetarian snack, almond butter (or any other conceivable nut butter, save peanut) spread on a celery stick is quite delicious.
 

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2010
Messages
2,406
Reaction score
158
Originally Posted by Nosu3
^ what is the soy theory?

Soy contains isoflavones/phytoestrogens, which act like estrogens in the body and decrease testosterone levels - thereby increasing fat storage, decreasing sex drive (A study in Japan linked soy consumption to low sex drive), decreasing lean muscle mass/strength, can also decrease immune function.

It's probably not a big deal if you limit its consumption, but if you're a vegetarian, I'd be wary of making it a staple of your diet.
 

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
3,244
Reaction score
43
Originally Posted by Kajak
Soy contains isoflavones/phytoestrogens, which act like estrogens in the body and decrease testosterone levels - thereby increasing fat storage, decreasing sex drive (A study in Japan linked soy consumption to low sex drive), decreasing lean muscle mass/strength, can also decrease immune function. It's probably not a big deal if you limit its consumption, but if you're a vegetarian, I'd be wary of making it a staple of your diet.
A study done last year showed that soy foods don't alter testosterone levels in men. There's some other foods high in phytoestrogen too, like conventional meat and beer. Some foods have anti-phytoestrogen effects but from research I've had trouble finding a conclusion. Greens like broccoli are supposed to be anti-estrogenic, but from other sources it says it's one of the highest phytoestrogen vegetables. I don't use soy products and find it easy to avoid in a vegetarian diet.
 

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
8,576
Reaction score
4,113
Originally Posted by mm84321
For the love of your health, I implore you, eat some meat. That being said, If I were to recommend a vegetarian snack, almond butter (or any other conceivable nut butter, save peanut) spread on a celery stick is quite delicious.

Sorry but after 33 years of being a vegetarian the idea of eating dead flesh grown in a factory feed lot and then decomposing in my stomach and ******** it out is repulsive to me.

That said if people want to eat dead flesh that is entirely their business.
 

Exalt

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
201
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by mm84321
For the love of your health, I implore you, eat some meat. That being said, If I were to recommend a vegetarian snack, almond butter (or any other conceivable nut butter, save peanut) spread on a celery stick is quite delicious.

The idea that meat is necessary in order to be "healthy" is not true. The nutrients provided by meat can be acquired from other sources, which is not difficult. Additionally, meat does not provide the 100% biological value of protein... Eggs do!
 

aaronxxx

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2007
Messages
227
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by mm84321
For the love of your health, I implore you, eat some meat. That being said, If I were to recommend a vegetarian snack, almond butter (or any other conceivable nut butter, save peanut) spread on a celery stick is quite delicious.

1) there is nothing unhealthy about not eating meat

2) peanuts are not nuts

please educate yourself.
 

kaiimac

Active Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
I LOVE the Clif Breakfast bars or Kashi Go Lean bars.
 

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
2,762
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Sorry but after 33 years of being a vegetarian the idea of eating dead flesh grown in a factory feed lot and then decomposing in my stomach and ******** it out is repulsive to me.
This is usually the argument I hear most from vegetarians. If you wish to not eat meat produced in CAFOs, injected with hormones and steroids, which you have every right not to, then it is your job to seek out a quality source of protein. You'll pay more, but if you value the quality of your nutrition, it won't be an irrational expense.
That said if people want to eat dead flesh that is entirely their business.
Dead flesh? You do realize we are at the top of the food chain for a reason? Do you think man evolved eating rice crackers and soybeans?
Originally Posted by Exalt
The idea that meat is necessary in order to be "healthy" is not true. The nutrients provided by meat can be acquired from other sources, which is not difficult. Additionally, meat does not provide the 100% biological value of protein... Eggs do!
I'm sorry, this is simply not true.
Originally Posted by aaronxxx
1) there is nothing unhealthy about not eating meat 2) peanuts are not nuts please educate yourself.
There is nothing advantageously healthy about not eating meat either. I'm aware that peanuts are legumes; I classified them with nut butters because they are often sold next to each other at supermarkets.
 

kaiimac

Active Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
I think that, ultimately, this thread is about vegetarian snack options. We all have the right, meat eating or not, to eat whatever we want (with the exception of body parts or public property) without getting flack or judgement from others.
 

Exalt

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
201
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by mm84321
I'm sorry, this is simply not true.

If the evidence has changed, I guess I am going to have to tell my biochemistry teacher at medical school that you are correct?
fight[1].gif
I'll find a reference for you... Although I no longer have that biochemistry book.

The information about human evolution is possibly true! One of the theories for the increase in brain size is meat consumption. Still, that does not indicate that if I don't eat meat, it's unhealthy. Unless, again, my education filled my mind with lies!
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

  • Peacoat

  • Great coat

  • Trench

  • Mac

  • Chesterfield

  • Duffle coat

  • Topcoat

  • Shearling

  • Balmacaan

  • Parka

  • Loden

  • Car coat


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
502,655
Messages
10,559,511
Members
223,231
Latest member
ndsakhyva
Top