• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegetarian food that does not suck

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been meeting more and more vegetarians (Seattle
rolleyes.gif
) and it's almost inevitable that I'll have to cook something for one at some point. While I was just cooking up something I realized it was vegetarian, and yet did not suck! So that will be my one contribution to this thread: THE FRIED PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANA SANDWICH. Recipe: self explanatory hopefully - peanut butter two pieces of bread, slice up a banana, sandwich it in between, butter each outside of the sandwich, fry it in a pan over medium heat for a couple minutes per side until brown, serve in the traditional manner, with "a handful of pills, baby."
friedpbbzu4.jpg
It is awesome. Somehow the banana and softened peanut butter combine to make it taste like you're eating a big pile of honey, but it's probably not really that bad for you considering. Please post other vegetarian food that I might be able to choke down, yet include real nutritional value. P.s. I noted after making this that if I hadn't eaten the bacon I had left already this morning, it would have been amazing added into the sandwich. Next time.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of fake meat companeis of varying quality. I personally like most everything by Tofurkey, and Morningstar Farms. Gardenburger has some standouts (like the "riblets") as well.

I would avoid Boca at all costs.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. However, I was hoping more for specific recipes that you will vouch for. Also, though I appreciate hearing from vegetarians, I'll put a little more weight in the opinions of fellow carnivores, because they know what they're missing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Eggplant parm is a classic, and very hearty, but of course a vegan wouldn't touch it.

You could also try a four cheese lasagna.

I have a killer vegetable soup recipe, but I sweat the veggies in bacon. Maybe you could swap that out for vegetable oil.

Reaction score
Kinda out of season but insalata caprese is a no-brainer: toss tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and olive oil.

Also of the exceedingly obvious and un-mess-up-able would include: pizza. Making your own dough from scratch is amazingly simple.

And yeah, hard to mess up pasta in a tomato or alfredo sauce.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional alfredo recipes call for an egg yolk. Some vegetarians may oppose to be wary...

Reaction score
Only the most militant vegetarians won't eat eggs or milk, really. So yeah, it would help if J. were more specific about his guests' dietary restrictions.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Chips and salsa.
Cheese enchiladas.
Cerveza.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pesto sauce is very easy to make and can even be glammed up a little bit with the addition of expensive cheese(s) and pine nuts.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
Only the most militant vegetarians won't eat eggs or milk, really. So yeah, it would help if J. were more specific about his guests' dietary restrictions.
I can't be that specific since it hasn't really come up yet, but I don't expect to try to cater to vegans. Hence the butter in which the Elvis is fried. There are a lot of people who just don't eat things that require an animal to be killed, i.e. meat/fish/poultry, but anything else is generally fair game (err,
rimshot.gif
). They may be picky about free-range this and that, but not usually. The funny thing is how quickly some vegetarians forget they are vegetarian when I start frying up bacon to put on a mouth-watering cheeseburger.
laugh.gif

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love morningstar. There are a great many foods at Trader Joe's that are fantastic for vegetarian dishes, for example the vegetarian chorizo is great in eggs. I would have to say eggplant parm is a great recommendation. Stirfry is also up there IMHO.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sandwich looks yummy. I love tofu, I could probably eat it everyday for the rest of my life.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
The sandwich looks yummy. I love tofu, I could probably eat it everyday for the rest of my life.

Tofu in the shape of Kwilk and Conne's small members.

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads