Vegas

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by CTGuy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

I am going to Vegas in a couple weeks. Anything out of the ordinary that is really worth seeing? Stuff that I would find out about in your average guidebook?

Right now I am planning to see a couple shows and go to a few nice restaurants, but beyond that no real plans. I was thinking of going to see the Hoover Dam just for the hell of it.

2. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I am going to Vegas in a couple weeks. Anything out of the ordinary that is really worth seeing? Stuff that I would find out about in your average guidebook?

Right now I am planning to see a couple shows and go to a few nice restaurants, but beyond that no real plans. I was thinking of going to see the Hoover Dam just for the hell of it.

Where are you going for dinner? How old are you - nightlife? Bankroll?

3. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

Where are you going for dinner? How old are you - nightlife? Bankroll?

I'm 29. Money isn't a huge issue, but I'm not SoCal or anything. I am going with my girlfriend who is 30. I am planning on going to Kraftsteak or whatever it is called and the Daniel Boulud place.

4. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

If you have a couple of days to spare and haven't been to the Grand Canyon, a trip would be highly recommended. Check the weather though - the North Rim is pretty remote compared to the South Rim and March may be awfully early in the season for it to be clear of snow.

5. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I'm 29. Money isn't a huge issue, but I'm not SoCal or anything. I am going with my girlfriend who is 30. I am planning on going to Kraftsteak or whatever it is called and the Daniel Boulud place.

Skip Boulud and go to L'Atelier - sit at the counter and enjoy the tasting menu.

6. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Hoover Dam is a huge waste of time for the Dam itself, but the Colorado River Bridge construction is simply mind-boggling. I must have stared at it for 20 minutes in awe. Pictures don't do it justice.

I'm a gambler, so when I was in Vegas, I don't think I left MGM all week. But I had no reason to - I was comp'd for the UFC, Cirque, all the restaurants, etc.

I love Vegas!

[​IMG]

7. Sousaphil

Sousaphil Member

Buchon (Thomas Keller) at the Venetian is quite good.
    All I need is a shellfish platter, a crock of onion soup and some boudin noir.

8. Supertarheel

Supertarheel Well-Known Member

I'm going in July, how much money should I take with me?

9. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Buchon (Thomas Keller) at the Venetian is quite good.
    For brunch, I agree. Dinner left a lot to be desired. I quite enjoy Aureole at Mandalay Bay for dinner.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Just read the thread I started last year. Many very good suggestions.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=Vegas

Some suggestions I followed:

Bouchon's for breakfast. Sit outside on the patio if the weather is suitable. If the scallop dish in that day's breakfast menu, go for it.

Rosemary's Sunday night. 50% off bottles (nice cellar), $50 buck or so prix fixe and you can get foie added.

I was happy with our suite at The Venetian. Hard not to be happy with a 1400 sq foot suite [​IMG]

V-spot for late night at the Venetian, just have to make it up the elevator to your room. We did it after the 10p showing of Blue Man Group. Make sure to go in with a good buzz.

Can't remember the name, high end sea food spot in the Venetian. Aquitania maybe. Eat in the wine room with the water cascading down the wall. Pretty cool.

Can't remember the name, but a restaurant that specializes in charcuterie. Mario Batalli has a casual place where you can get a card for wine tasting, just cash out at the end. Decent medium market Ital food too.

I bought a couple Thomas Pink shirts after drinking for two hours at the Double Helix, and some cufflinks at London Links (Saltires, couldn't not buy them).

11. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

I have tickets for Ka. Anyone seen it?

12. Piobaire

Get VIP tickets for La Reve at the Wynn. We highly enjoyed the show and treatment.

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Ka was actually quite awesome.

My wife and I were there two years ago. She liked Celion Dion so we went to that. There's these places in town that sells last minute show tickets, that's how we got to see Ka and also Zumanity.

We had fine dining at Picasso which was not bad.

14. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I was not a fan.

15. Piobaire

Oh, forgot to mention, possibly the best meal of my life. The Guy Savoy. Do it.