1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vegas Casual Restaurant Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by sonick, Jun 19, 2014.

1. sonick

sonick Senior member

Heading to Vegas in a few weeks and am looking for suggestions on more low-key casual dining places on the Vegas strip. Most searches on here and online come up with the typical celeb-chef high end places; difficult to weed out the cheaper/casual places.

Something along the lines of Mesa Grill, Mon Ami Gabi, Todd English PUB which I've been before...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. ricecakey15

ricecakey15 New Member

If you have a car and can go off strip I'd go to Lotus of Siam for Thai food, Tacos el Gordo for tacos, and Raku for Japanese (although not as casual).

3. osirispdx

osirispdx Member

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yusho in the Monte Carlo (of all places) was pretty good a couple weeks ago.
    Plus the chef looks like Wolverine.
    http://www.eatinglv.com/2014/04/you-should-go-to-yusho/
    It's causal but not what you'd call cheap. I think we spent about $260 for Omakase x 2 and drinks not including tax/tip.

Pizza at Five50 in the Aria was good. They also do slices and are open late so a good stop on the drunken stumble back to the room if you're staying at the Aria.

Happy Hour (most of the evening actually) at Comme Ca has some decent items like the burger or the pig fries (strips of pig ears).
    Good cocktails.

5. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

For casual dining, China Poblano at the Cosmo is great. Because of the interesting/unusual fusion you have a wide variety of options. Lots of small dishes so you can try various things. Cloud margaritas are the best I've ever had.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. sonick

sonick Senior member

Flying out this evening, thanks for the suggestions!

7. bings

bings Senior member

That.

it is reputed to be the best thai food in the US.

when i was there Anthony Bourdain was doing his piece on the place... proof:

[​IMG]

i was supposed to be at that table to his right but opted for the corner.

8. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

I like the Bouchon Bistro in the Venetian - on a bang for buck basis, I'd much rather spend at their prices than the breakfast options in the MGM

Ditto on Lotus of Siam

9. bings

bings Senior member

i was underwhelmed by Bouchon for dinner... went based on of the reco here.

i'd go again though.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's never disappointed me. Only thing I ever had there I was not completely satisfied with was a foie gras torchon; I thought the texture was too whipped.

Sonick, are you back yet? Where did you go?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  11. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

secret pizza in the cosmopolitan is great for late night

12. bings

bings Senior member

the only thing i remember from my dining experience at Bouchon was that the manager was really laying into our server and it was very much impacting our experience. the guy was totally dejected after the talking to he was getting. it felt like he was experienced but new to that place and the woman who was managing was just going nuts on him (thought we couldnt tell what about) right in the middle of his tables.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

So you were underwhelmed for non-food reasons?

14. bings

bings Senior member

yes, though the food wasn't good enough to overcome the rest of the experience.

15. archetypal_yuppie

If you've ever had good pizza or been to NYC, however, you will think it is complete shit, with an annoyingly long wait to boot.

16. archetypal_yuppie

I re-emphasize that China Poblano is awesome for casual though.

17. sonick

sonick Senior member

Yes, I got back on Canada Day. Didn't rent a car or anything as we stuck mostly to the strip.

Had pizza at Five50 (great drunk food), happy hour at Comme (though they ran out of Pig Fries!), Mon Ami Gabi (solid as always), and buffet at Wicked Spoon (normally would not have done buffet but this was highly recommended by friends; was let down as I expected).

Had wanted to hit up happy hour at Julian Serrano or China Poblano but didn't get the chance to.

1 person likes this.
  18. archetypal_yuppie

Julian Serrano was great the first time I went, and significantly worse the second (6 months later), so it's on my iffy list.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You can probably sleep easy knowing that manager has been terminated. That stuff doesn't fly in front of customers.

20. bings

bings Senior member

i did explain the situation in my review on open table :)