• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegan business casual shoes NOT imitating leather: Canvas or other options?

turantelle

Reaction score
I'm vegan and looking for a pair of shoes to go with a business casual look. White shirt, navy pinstripe, matching dark jeans, socks and a pair of shoes.

I have the white converse jack purcell, but then there's too much white and I find them a bit too preppy for this outfit.

Perhaps an eggshell pair of converse could work, or a totally dark one?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going vegan with clothing is a tall order. You mention your shoes, but what about your jacket? (I assume that’s what you mean by “navy pinstripe” although that sounds more like a suit than an odd jacket, and at any rate I can’t picture the “matching” jeans.) Most business jackets are wool, and I’m assuming you don’t cotton to enslaving sheep, pardon the pun. Linen or cotton jackets are of limited seasonal use unless you live in Miami. Then there are buttons, which are often made of animal horns or shells.

Meanwhile, your concern for animal welfare doesn’t get you off the hook when it comes to the environmental issues raised by pesticides sprayed on cotton fields, and of course the plastic in all those sneakers and non-horn buttons, and the exploited workers in South Asia who crank them out. It seems all our clothing comes with compromises, and it can make your head spin.

My own chosen path is to patronize small companies and individual craftspeople who produce classic clothing with passion and skill that will last me the rest of my life. (I’m no longer young so that’s a genuine possibility.) Good luck on your own path; I hope it is getting easier to find what you’re looking for.

turantelle

Reaction score
To clarify, vegan isn't 100% correct, I'm 90% vegan and 10% vegetarian, the reason I stated "vegan" was to avoid any leather suggestions, I'm much more OK with wool production for instance.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, vegan isn't 100% correct, I'm 90% vegan and 10% vegetarian, the reason I stated "vegan" was to avoid any leather suggestions, I'm much more OK with wool production for instance.
Well that makes it easier. There are versions of spectator shoes where the vamp is canvas or linen; someone might make summery dress shoes of that material entirely (eliminating the leather toe box and heel), but I don’t know.

turantelle

Reaction score
il_570xN.667645483_d8qa.jpg

Made to order ones for 130 euro https://www.etsy.com/listing/207226154/vegan-custom-made-oxford-style-shoe-made

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been vegan for last 1.5 years and recently started thinking about my leather shoes and belts. I've been collecting Alden and Carmina for years and have a bit of collection now. I don't think I'll sell what I've bought but I've been considering future purchases. Wills seems to have some decent Blake stitched options and belts https://vegan-shoes-usa.com/men-s-vegan-shoes.html/?SID=lh9pp4kg23hfcnlonq2v19tob0

This page also has a list of a few other brands...
http://gentlemanbuddha.com/en/vegan-shoes-brands/

whipcord

Reaction score
I've been a vegetarian for 10 years. I do not eat meat, poultry or fish. I ate vegan for a short period of time but it's just not for me. As a carpenter I was never able to find a quality work boot that didn't use leather. This doesn't even get into the fact that pretty much all shoes use animal based glues and adhesives. I wear leather shoes, boots and belts and am ok with it. There is simply nothing else out there that works for me.

Bythenumbers

Reaction score
I've been a vegetarian for 10 years. I do not eat meat, poultry or fish. I ate vegan for a short period of time but it's just not for me. As a carpenter I was never able to find a quality work boot that didn't use leather. This doesn't even get into the fact that pretty much all shoes use animal based glues and adhesives. I wear leather shoes, boots and belts and am ok with it. There is simply nothing else out there that works for me.
KEEN makes work shoes and boots that, in some models, use no leather, are tough, steel-toed, comfortable, highly regarded and made in the USA. I haven’t researched their glues and adhesives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads