• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veal

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody have a favorite brand (not sure this is the right word???) of veal these days?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Fairway veal is very good.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Veals are persons too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Veals are persons too.
Yes. Cute, delicious little persons. Do you notice a big difference between the veal you get here and at home?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yes. Cute, delicious little persons. Do you notice a big difference between the veal you get here and at home?

Seems to be bigger and juicier here and taste a little more bland.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gotta wonder about how much different the taste would be between milk fed veal in two differnt markets. I am not sure that I have a good enough palette to tell the difference in taste. maybe texture.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to tell the truth, i never cook veal. not out of any ethical concerns, but i just never got the point, considering the price. i've had veal in europe that i would be willing to pay for ... they make a tartare in piemonte from veal that is absolutely amazing.

coonky

Reaction score
Food for thought: How much suffering are you willing to induce just to have something tasty in your mouth?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nosu puppet?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coonky
Food for thought: How much suffering are you willing to induce just to have something tasty in your mouth?
A fair amount - Foie Gras via Gravage is far worse than veal and I'm not giving it up any time soon. Given veal is Kosher, I feel the ethical aspect is pretty much answered for me. RE: The OP - I generally buy from Gepperths or Whole Foods. The veal is not branded. At Potash Brothers, there is a Chicago-based brand that starts w/ a G (Italian name) = it is no better or worse.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite italian restaurant flies their veal in daily from a small midwestern farm. You can cut it with a fork.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
A fair amount - Foie Gras via Gravage is far worse than veal and I'm not giving it up any time soon. Given veal is Kosher, I feel the ethical aspect is pretty much answered for me. RE: The OP - I generally buy from Gepperths or Whole Foods. The veal is not branded. At Potash Brothers, there is a Chicago-based brand that starts w/ a G (Italian name) = it is no better or worse.
Whole Foods is Strauss Veal, which is not really veal. It is older, and quite red. I had a lovely 2 inch thick veal chop tonight. I'm pretty settled on where I get it, and I am not sure there is better veal in the US. For me, veal chops, thick ones, and sweetbreads are pretty much the ****, and I really don't care about the ethical aspects. Now, if somebody ruins their food, and an animal had to die for badly cooked meat, I get upset, but it pisses me off even more if their life was a good one cut short. Veal are mostly male babies of milk cows, and they are not beef breeds, so if you are really worried about veal, you shouldn't drink milk at all. Otherwise, milk + no veal = baby male calfs killed really young and thrown away.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Whole Foods is Strauss Veal, which is not really veal. It is older, and quite red. I had a lovely 2 inch thick veal chop tonight. I'm pretty settled on where I get it, and I am not sure there is better veal in the US. For me, veal chops, thick ones, and sweetbreads are pretty much the ****, and I really don't care about the ethical aspects. Now, if somebody ruins their food, and an animal had to die for badly cooked meat, I get upset, but it pisses me off even more if their life was a good one cut short. Veal are mostly male babies of milk cows, and they are not beef breeds, so if you are really worried about veal, you shouldn't drink milk at all. Otherwise, milk + no veal = baby male calfs killed really young and thrown away.
Interesting - I got some ground veal today at WF and noticed the color.... but it was just for meatballs, so I was not as concerned I guess when I get chops they are from Gepperths... it's not something I do very often. There was a great local supplier at the Division St. Farmers Market last saturday. I plan to try his wares in a few weeks when I'm around for a few more days in a row. I did not know that about the sourcing.. that's quite interesting as well.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coonky
Unfortunately for the animals, not everyone has the ability to consider this.
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Nosu puppet?
VEAL PROCESS:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Unfortunately for the animals, not everyone has the ability to consider this.
Yes, it would be much better if they were killed immediately for being boys.
rolleyes.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads