• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VAT refund on ebay UK purchases

sidvar

Reaction score
One ebay shoe seller, schuh, advertises his wares as "vat inclusive" and says he will refund VAT (i.e. 17.5 per cent) to US buyers. But others, when asked, say "we don't include VAT". But if they don't, how come UK bidders for their wares pay the same price? Aren't they legally obliged to charge VAT for EU sales? Can anyone shed light o this? I am afraid some sellers are charging us the full VAT price but not turning that money over to HM Treasury because these are VAT-exempt sales.

Wicky

Reaction score
Shooting of this hip here but maybe this depends on whether the Seller is a professional party or a private seller. The first one is likely considered to be an entrepreneur and thus, in principle, needs to charge appropriate VAT rate (and pay this to the Revenue, whilst on the other hand he can recover input VAT), whilst the private seller does not need to do this.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect most of the sellers are private party and do no collect VAT - so there is nothing to be refunded to you.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VAT is a difficult issue ...
When traveling in europe, anny noe european resident can get aprox 12% of on purchases abbove a certain level throuh systems like TAXFREE.
I think france & Italy is 130€ that is based on their 19% vat the higher the amount the closer you get to 19% on the TAXFREE system.
If the seller is willing to do the work and you have the time there is always the option to do a complete tax exemtion aplicaton.
But that involves going to the customs, getting all the forms.
Having the seller fill it out, you stamp and send the correct copies back to seller. He will then pay back the full vat amount ...
Turnaround time is usualy the same as hving the TAXFREE system pay you back the amount on tour card. But with the systems that do the woork for you there is usualy the option to get cash at the airport.

I recently asked a UK seller to exemt my order, but he claimed the could not, due to profitt ...
So the order might have been below a level or he vas not willing to do the work, who knows? Maybe he wanted to recoup, and keep the diff ...

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a severely frustrating issue like this with YOOX. They have different pricing for different markets ... For eu region they have one, so between sweden and norway there is a 30% difference
devil.gif
And we then get charged 25% VAT on the order, wich already has EU tax on it! So all in all anny order to Norway is aprox 50% higher than for a EU resident ... When I asked, they answerd with a reference from their faq. abut not beeing responsible for local tax ... Needless to say, my last order was when I was in France, so i saved 800$ on a Jil Sander Shearling

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads