• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VAT refund confusion of expat moving out of UK

Reaction score
I am an expat who transferred to the UK last year. Thanks to the market turmoil, I am transferring to Singapore at the end of March. The complication is that I will be travelling within Europe for three weeks, on vacation, and will leave most of my belongings with the moving service my company has contracted with.

I indulged myself and made a few trips to St. James and Jermyn Street immediately before Christmas and during the January sales. Since I actually live in London, I have not yet claimed VAT refunds, and was going to ask the moving service to do this for me before they ship out my belongings.

After several e-mail exchanges with the service and a call to UK customs, it seems that the service will not attempt to collect my VAT refunds unless the items are in their original store packaging, unused. Further, since I will not be travelling with my belongings, I was told that I can only invoke the indirect export exception, where I can reclaim VAT if I reexport unused items outside the UK during the third month after purchase (in other words, from what I understand, if I purchased something anytime between January 1 to 31, I have until the end of March to ship the items and claim the refund).

If I am right about the deadline, it means I have to physically ship the items out of the EU before the end of March. Taking them along somehow during my European trip will not be an option because I will be leaving the EU in April, not March.

I am completely confused and was wondering if anyone here has encountered this situation.

1) Am I right about the customs deadline, or is the deadline 90 days after purchase or similar?

2) Would it make more sense to ship my VAT refundable purchases to Singapore separately? I am worried that these would then be prime customs bait.

3) Would it make more sense to ship my belongings earlier, so that hopefully it becomes clear that the VAT refundable purchases (which are really personal belongings that should not be subject to import duties for someone relocating from abroad) are part of someone's household items?

4) Has anyone relied on a shipping agent to claim VAT refunds, and if so, how does one make sure it does not result in a cock up?

Thank you in advance.

Marjo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having the same problemm! My container already left the UK and the items where bought in mid april. Where you able to claim the VAT?

Thanks!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EU residents can't claim VAT refunds. It's for tourists not residents.

brokentelephone

Reaction score

EU residents can't claim VAT refunds. It's for tourists not residents.

Untrue -- if leaving, you can reclaim VAT on anything you've purchased in the final 3 months of residence.

I've had mega-problems with VAT issues -- you're going to need to call VAT/Duties a few times to get a straight answer as about 75% of the people there don't have a ******* clue in the world on how everything works.

PM me and I'll send you an email address of someone who dealt with my claim directly. Hopefully they can help.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people come to this site seeking advice on VAT when they are moving? Surely there are more appropriate forums where current knowledge will be available?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people come to this site seeking advice on VAT when they are moving? Surely there are more appropriate forums where current knowledge will be available?

Because they enjoy getting a rise out of the forum's resident grouch.
nest.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads