1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vass vs. JM Weston

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Panzeraxe, Jan 31, 2005.

1. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

Why haven't you worn them yet Raj-man? Gr8 shoos.

2. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Yep, Vass makes a whole-cut.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

I think the Vass with the high toe box looks quite ugly. Just my opinion, of course.

4. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

l love the raised toebox, it totally rules. A Harris: any chance of a Vass sale this year. l want or need [​IMG] a size 40.5.

5. T4phage

T4phage Distinguished Member

I would totally disagree with the statement that Weston is "ordinary".... The Perry designs, whether you like them or not, are definitely not your run of the mill shoes. They have nothing in common with CJ/Grensons aesthetically. As for that 'something special', I for one (and I'm sure Jcusey and William Massena too) find that Weston has that special something. Different strokes...

I have been admiring the Vass U lasts, especially their take on the Lobb Perrier. Although I do not own a pair, the comments of those I respect regarding this brand would make it an excellent buy.

6. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I'll see you out back at noon. Would you prefer pistols or swords?

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

(zjpj83 @ Feb. 01 2005,00:23) I think the Vass with the high toe box looks quite ugly. Â Just my opinion, of course.
    I'll see you out back at noon. Would you prefer pistols or swords?
    Collar stays. koji

8. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior Member

Very very nice - thank you

9. Hoya Saxa

Hoya Saxa Senior Member

Quick question for those who might know ...

between the various brands discussed on this thread, which have metal shanks in them? As one who goes through airport security nearly every day, this is an important criteria.

I know Allen-Edmonds have no metal, but what about some of these higher end makes?

Cheers,

Hoya

10. William Massena

William Massena Well-Known Member

(johnnynorman3 @ Feb. 01 2005,00:06) Does Vass even make a wholecut? Â More bang for you buck with Vass. Â U-last is a pretty "sexy" if that is the word; not at all similar to anything I've seen at Weston. Â I like the P2 last best, I think. Â I'm not a fan of the Lazlo last though. Â If you find a style you like in Vass, I can attest to their supreme comfort and quality. Â Weston seems a bit ordinary to me. EDIT: I like Weston, and I think they have some great styles. Â When I say, "ordinary," I mean that they don't strike me as anything better than what you'd find from Grenson or C & J. Â They aren't quite Ed Greens, and they don't have that "something special" that Vass does.
    I would totally disagree with the statement that Weston is "ordinary".... The Perry designs, whether you like them or not, are definitely not your run of the mill shoes. Â They have nothing in common with CJ/Grensons aesthetically. Â As for that 'something special', I for one (and I'm sure Jcusey and William Massena too) find that Weston has that special something. Â Different strokes... I have been admiring the Vass U lasts, especially their take on the Lobb Perrier. Â Although I do not own a pair, the comments of those I respect regarding this brand would make it an excellent buy.
    I actually like the fact that most find Weston ordinary, I like "stealth" shoes. However I can only agree with T4 that the Michel Perry line is far from ordinary, I noticed that I can spot a pair of Perry from pretty far away. As for Vass vs. Weston, I unfortunately have not tried vass yet, but after reading many comments here I am much tempted. The weston lasts are not English bootmakers but rather a French evolution of the "chaussures de campagnard". The 598 (split toe also known as Demi Chasse) is somewhat mundane. However, the Chasse (full hunt derby) with Nowegian stitching is definetely not your average shoe. William

11. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I probably haven't seen the whole offering line from Weston. All I am going by is the 15 or so models that they carry at the Boston store, which are great shoes no doubt, but never struck me as unique.

12. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

Weston is not confortable.

I have just seen a few Vass on this site and I do not like the models I saw at all (not thin enough and look cheap).

So I would rather go for Aubercy or Church masterclass.

13. AJL

AJL Distinguished Member

Cheap looking? http://www.vass-shoes.com/picture....201.jpg http://www.vass-shoes.com/DSCN5607.JPG http://www.vass-shoes.com/picture....ast.JPG http://www.vass-shoes.com/picture....ast.JPG I think you've really stepped in some doo-doo this time, ernie. The Vass shoes may not have the level of antiquing that gives some other shoes added depth and richness, and aesthetically they may not be to your liking, but to call them cheap looking is a bit too cavalier. You certainly love to stir the waters, ernest my boy; prepare yourself for the tsunami to follow.

14. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior Member

I will second Mr. Massena's comment on stealthy shoes. Weston shoes, to me, are extremely elegant for the simple fact that they rarely attract any attention (like a Berluti does) and blend perfectly into your wardrobe of the day. The lines are natural, so is the toe box. However, in my opinion, they are best worn with pants that are a bit tapered (but certainly not skin-tight). The width of the pants can greatly disrupt the proportion of the shoe.

However, it's a bit odd comparing Weston and Green, isn't it?

15. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior Member

You just mentioned four makers whose aesthetics are entirely different.  It's best not use side-by-side comparisons when we are talking about shoes at this level.

AJL: I don't think he meant it in an offensive way.... at least I hope he didn't.

On a side note: I can't see any Imageshack files....  How am I going to sleep well tonight?.??