1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vass special order opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by william, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Sator

Sator Senior member

I just passed by at ZAK, so I didn't check their sizes in stock. You should try Maftei. I think you like and appreciate their work and their last shapes are compelling with your taste.

Sachertorte and Einspänner. It seems to be, you like whipped cream.

I dream of making a trip nach Wien for a serving of Sachertorte and Maftei.

BTW what is the exact difference between an Einspänner and a Melange?

2. william

william Senior member

That is EXACTLY my next Vass order, except I'll be a 44 in the F last - good call. Did you order the Crispin's?

I see you are also a man of refined taste [​IMG]

I'm going to order the St. Crispin's after I receive the Vass. For that order I'm going for the two-eyelet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just finalized my order for these St. Crispin's. Delivery is quoted for September 10th. I replaced the speed lacers with standard eyelets and went for the dark oak color.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. william

william Senior member

I just finalized my order for these St. Crispin's. Delivery is quoted for September 10th. I replaced the speed lacers with standard eyelets and went for the dark oak color.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that should be obscenely gorgeous.

5. aportnoy

Well that should be obscenely gorgeous.

I'm hoping. I've lusted after these boots since I first saw them. And given the rise in pricing for all things British, they are a relative bargain.

6. william

william Senior member

Yep. This is why I've gone the Vass route and (eventually) the St. Crispin's route.

On an unrelated note, one tailor who has capped his pricing for American clients is Desmond Merrion. Pretty refreshing as everyone else just keeps raising their prices, whether they be tailors or cordwainers.

7. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

I'm hoping. I've lusted after these boots since I first saw them. And given the rise in pricing for all things British, they are a relative bargain.

Is the dark oak color you reference VNA 079?

8. aportnoy

Is the dark oak color you reference VNA 079?

The one and the same.[​IMG]

9. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Update...

This is what I ended up ordering:

Old English II
    F Last (Size 43 EU)
    Oxblood Boxcalf
    Beveled Waist
    Metal Toe Tap
    Three Piece Shoe Trees

Now for the wait! It should take about two months or so. I'll take some pics when they arrive. I still really want the same shoe in antique cognac as well. Hopefully this order will fit well so I can order more.

Chris

Great order, can't wait to see them.

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I dream of making a trip nach Wien for a serving of Sachertorte and Maftei.

BTW what is the exact difference between an Einspänner and a Melange?

Dreams are useful to achieve your aims.

The difference is the whipped cream(Einspänner) and the "cup".

Melange is served in a "normal" coffe cup and the Einspänner is served in a special glas.

EINSPÄNNER

Einspänner nennt man in Wien ein halbes Paar Würstel, einen Fiaker mit einem Pferd oder den in einem Henkelglas servierten Kaffee mit Schlag. Die Fiaker mußten mit einer Hand das Pferd halten, daher mußte der heiße Kaffee in einem Henkelglas serviert werden. Glas und Getränk nannte man Einspänner.

Zutaten: Kaffee, Schlagobers, Zucker.

Zubereitung: Ein starker heißer Kaffee wird in einem Wiener Einspännerglas reichlich mit Schlagobers garniert.

Translation:

In Vienna "Einspänner" is called a single Frankfurter sausage, a coach with one horse, or a strong coffee in a special glas with a handle/lug. The "Fiaker" had to keep the horses "quiet" but wanted to enjoy their hot coffee with a lot of whipped cream. Result: They took the name of the special coach(fiacre) and a new "drink" was born.

Ingredients: Coffee, whipped cream, sugar

11. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

And how do those differ from a Kaiserkaffee?

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

And how do those differ from a Kaiserkaffee?

KAISERMELANGE

Zutaten: Brandy, Ei, Honig und Mocca.

Zubereitung: Eidotter mit Brandy und gut 15 - 20g Honig in einer großen Moccaschale verrühren und den heißen Kaffee darübergießen.

Ingrediants: Cognac(Brandy), yolk, honey and mocca

You sqirrel the yolk with Cognac and honey and pour the hot coffee over it. Add hot milk to your taste.

Receipe descends from the russian czars.

Enjoy.

13. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

I just finalized my order for these St. Crispin's. Delivery is quoted for September 10th. I replaced the speed lacers with standard eyelets and went for the dark oak color.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Those are beautiful. Out of curiousity, though, does it ever bother you that you have so many shoes that you rarely get to wear some of them? This is not a criticism, I am just curious. Because I find that it bothers me that I have over a 100 ties, many of them that I've never worn, but to wear them all even just once or twice a year would mean that I'd rarely get to wear my favorites. It is the same for me with socks. I've got all these great patterned socks, and want to get more, but I've already got more than I can wear.

14. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Out of curiousity, though, does it ever bother you that you have so many shoes that you rarely get to wear some of them? This is not a criticism, I am just curious. Because I find that it bothers me that I have over a 100 ties, many of them that I've never worn, but to wear them all even just once or twice a year would mean that I'd rarely get to wear my favorites.
    Have you ever reflected that unlike most of us, aportnoy has extra pairs of feet? That's why his Paolo Scafora bespokes took 15 provas.

15. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

Have you ever reflected that unlike most of us, aportnoy has extra pairs of feet? That's why his Paolo Scafora bespokes took 15 provas.

That explains it. It had never occurred to me, but it all makes sense now.

16. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

geez [​IMG]

17. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Can anyone share the price of a pair of Old English II with trees bought in the store in Budapest?

18. aportnoy

That is EXACTLY my next Vass order, except I'll be a 44 in the F last - good call. Did you order the Crispin's?

Got a problem with the U last??

[​IMG]

19. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

Can anyone share the price of a pair of Old English II with trees bought in the store in Budapest?

I bought a pair of non U-last half-brogues at the Budapest store a year ago. They cost 85,500 forints with the cash discount, and came with a pair of lasted shoe trees. I don't think they are Old Englishers though.

20. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Got a problem with the U last??

[​IMG]

Looks good to me. I may pull the trigger on some soon. [​IMG]