1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vass special order opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by william, Jun 6, 2007.

1. fritzl

fritzl Stylish Dinosaur

Who has what on display? I did not quite understand your post. famous boots by whom? Sorry.

ZAK, Vienna

PS: There are quite more reasons than St. Crispins for a trip to Vienna. [​IMG] Ask VR, too

2. soileauj

soileauj Senior Member

I just received via UPS a sample shoe for size and it is true to my size. I wear a size 9 US and the 42 is a perfect fit. The 9 for me is in Hugo Boss, Pliner and Johnston & Murphy. Shoes seem to be very well made. Very very comfortable.

3. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

Chris, aren't you about a size 12? If I'm right about that, I'd make sure you've had a gander at the U last in that kind of size before you pull the trigger. Bergdorf had some Vass wingtips in a 12 on sale last fall, but the toe was too elongated for my taste.

4. william

william Distinguished Member

Chris, aren't you about a size 12? If I'm right about that, I'd make sure you've had a gander at the U last in that kind of size before you pull the trigger. Bergdorf had some Vass wingtips in a 12 on sale last fall, but the toe was too elongated for my taste.

Hey grimslade,

I'm a size 10D US. I searched and found some more F last pictures though and I think I'm going to go with that last instead of the U for this shoe. F beauty:

[​IMG]

5. william

I just received via UPS a sample shoe for size and it is true to my size. I wear a size 9 US and the 42 is a perfect fit. The 9 for me is in Hugo Boss, Pliner and Johnston & Murphy. Shoes seem to be very well made. Very very comfortable.

How did you attain a sample shoe?

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

7. LSeca

LSeca Distinguished Member

wow, those f lasts are beautiful.

I agree with this, mostly. I do not particulary think either of the outside models in the pics are anything special, the monk really looks plain to me which may be a good thing for some people. I like the three middle shoes very much.

8. mr monty

mr monty Distinguished Member

Chris

To order Vass I would email Gabor Halmos who is the US East Coast rep for Vass. I have emailed him for a few weeks now and the only thing hold me back is that i am not sure of the sizing. I have read a few threads about Vass being very unique in the sizing dept. and since I have never seen any of the shoes in the flesh, never seen any of the finishes and have never placed my foot inside a Vass shoe, I haven't been able to bring myself to order them. Gabor will accept your order though and delivery is 8 weeks which is significantly less than other designers. He did tell me that the workshop will be closed in August so keep that in mind. I see that you have a pair of Vass, what has been your experience on the U last sizing?

Is Gabor selling Vass cheaper than they were at BG?

9. jjgold

jjgold Senior Member

I actually just ordered a pair of Vass from Gabor and Eiko. I have bought two pair from Gabor and he was great. I ordered a pair of Wholecut w/ medallion in a Antique Cognac F last in SHELL CORDOVAN! I also ordered a pair of Wingtip F last in Oxblood. I have EG and Lobb. They are groovy but, Vass ARE the best! IMO.

10. Sator

Sator Distinguished Member

No, No, the Brook is not a boot. Please, Sator, you are the button boot kind of man.

And especially you know, where you can find them. Btw, ZAK, Vienna has some of their famous boots in stock. In black/grey & cognac/cafe au lait. They also have some nice shoes on display and then right away to dinner in Sacher's Rote Bar [​IMG]

But not in my size though. I know because I have rung them to ask about the Gamaschenstiefeletten. Maybe I will have to go to Maftei instead and then I can have my Sachertort with an Einspänner too.

11. tailorrmade

tailorrmade Senior Member

Is Gabor selling Vass cheaper than they were at BG?

Quoted $850 shipped with trees if I remember correctly. The email address is at work. I will post his address tomorrow AM

12. soileauj

soileauj Senior Member

[email protected]

Gabor's email address

I have an email with a catalog in pdf format but I can't copy it over

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Quoted $850 shipped with trees if I remember correctly. The email address is at work. I will post his address tomorrow AM

Still significantly more expensive than some other options....[​IMG]

14. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

Still significantly more expensive than some other options....[​IMG]
    Really?

I think I just paid about the same with Budapester Schule - maybe Eiko doesn't like me...

15. william

Really?

I think I just paid about the same with Budapester Schule - maybe Eiko doesn't like me...

Maybe he gives aportnoy a bulk discount [​IMG] [​IMG]