Vass special order opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by william, Jun 6, 2007.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Who has what on display? I did not quite understand your post. famous boots by whom? Sorry.

ZAK, Vienna

PS: There are quite more reasons than St. Crispins for a trip to Vienna. [​IMG] Ask VR, too

2. soileauj

soileauj Senior member

I just received via UPS a sample shoe for size and it is true to my size. I wear a size 9 US and the 42 is a perfect fit. The 9 for me is in Hugo Boss, Pliner and Johnston & Murphy. Shoes seem to be very well made. Very very comfortable.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Chris, aren't you about a size 12? If I'm right about that, I'd make sure you've had a gander at the U last in that kind of size before you pull the trigger. Bergdorf had some Vass wingtips in a 12 on sale last fall, but the toe was too elongated for my taste.

4. william

william Senior member

Chris, aren't you about a size 12? If I'm right about that, I'd make sure you've had a gander at the U last in that kind of size before you pull the trigger. Bergdorf had some Vass wingtips in a 12 on sale last fall, but the toe was too elongated for my taste.

Hey grimslade,

I'm a size 10D US. I searched and found some more F last pictures though and I think I'm going to go with that last instead of the U for this shoe. F beauty:

[​IMG]

5. william

william Senior member

I just received via UPS a sample shoe for size and it is true to my size. I wear a size 9 US and the 42 is a perfect fit. The 9 for me is in Hugo Boss, Pliner and Johnston & Murphy. Shoes seem to be very well made. Very very comfortable.

How did you attain a sample shoe?

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

7. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

wow, those f lasts are beautiful.

I agree with this, mostly. I do not particulary think either of the outside models in the pics are anything special, the monk really looks plain to me which may be a good thing for some people. I like the three middle shoes very much.

8. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Chris

To order Vass I would email Gabor Halmos who is the US East Coast rep for Vass. I have emailed him for a few weeks now and the only thing hold me back is that i am not sure of the sizing. I have read a few threads about Vass being very unique in the sizing dept. and since I have never seen any of the shoes in the flesh, never seen any of the finishes and have never placed my foot inside a Vass shoe, I haven't been able to bring myself to order them. Gabor will accept your order though and delivery is 8 weeks which is significantly less than other designers. He did tell me that the workshop will be closed in August so keep that in mind. I see that you have a pair of Vass, what has been your experience on the U last sizing?

Is Gabor selling Vass cheaper than they were at BG?

9. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

I actually just ordered a pair of Vass from Gabor and Eiko. I have bought two pair from Gabor and he was great. I ordered a pair of Wholecut w/ medallion in a Antique Cognac F last in SHELL CORDOVAN! I also ordered a pair of Wingtip F last in Oxblood. I have EG and Lobb. They are groovy but, Vass ARE the best! IMO.

10. Sator

Sator Senior member

No, No, the Brook is not a boot. Please, Sator, you are the button boot kind of man.

And especially you know, where you can find them. Btw, ZAK, Vienna has some of their famous boots in stock. In black/grey & cognac/cafe au lait. They also have some nice shoes on display and then right away to dinner in Sacher's Rote Bar [​IMG]

But not in my size though. I know because I have rung them to ask about the Gamaschenstiefeletten. Maybe I will have to go to Maftei instead and then I can have my Sachertort with an Einspänner too.

11. tailorrmade

tailorrmade Senior member

Is Gabor selling Vass cheaper than they were at BG?

Quoted $850 shipped with trees if I remember correctly. The email address is at work. I will post his address tomorrow AM

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quoted $850 shipped with trees if I remember correctly. The email address is at work. I will post his address tomorrow AM

Still significantly more expensive than some other options....[​IMG]

13. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Still significantly more expensive than some other options....[​IMG]
    Really?

I think I just paid about the same with Budapester Schule - maybe Eiko doesn't like me...

14. william

william Senior member

Really?

I think I just paid about the same with Budapester Schule - maybe Eiko doesn't like me...

Maybe he gives aportnoy a bulk discount [​IMG] [​IMG]