• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass Shoes

drljva

Reaction score
Was wondering what people know and think about this last? How long has it been around? How would you characterize the "look" of this model? Is it considered dressy (in, say, a black wing tip) or causual (in, say, an oxblood blucher)? Finally, anyone out there like me with relatively big feet (12E or 13D, depending on make) with any experience to share re this last (I ask because the Vass size 46 -- the biggest RTW they make -- feels a bit snug on me...).

Thanks.

JV

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should post this today, as I am wearing my Vass Budapests right now. Personally, I think that the Budapest last is a little less formal than some of the other lasts. Â It is still quite elegant, however, and very comfortable. Â I have size 10-101/2 E feet. Â The higher toe-box really does make them more comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Â For my Budapests, I chose to have the shoes made with a "reverse welted" construction, which gives them a bit more casual look. Â With the broguing, the Budapest last, and the reverse welting, I don't usually wear my Budapests with suits. Â They are perfect for sport coats, sweaters, etc. Some pics of my Vass shoes: (the Budapests are the lighter brown brogued shoes) http://www.larsonweb.com/vass1.jpg http://www.larsonweb.com/vass2.jpg

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I really like the Budapest last. I have a suede reverse welted wingtip blucher that I wear with jeans, and an oxblood half brogue blucher that I wear mostly with sports coats and dress slacks, though I'd could wear the 2nd one with suits as well as jeans. Both have double soles which I think look really good on this last. Suede Budapest Oxblood Alt Wien

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vass shoes in general don't photograph well. I don't know why it is, but they don't. Shoes on the Budapest last suffer from this affliction more than any other Vass shoes. In pictures, they look clunky and inelegant. In person, they're fantastic. Budapest is both an extremely distinctive and an extremely attractive last. I like it for all sorts of bluchers, from wingtip to paintoe to split-toe. It can be worn with either suits or casual clothing, depending on the pattern and the finishing of the shoe. It's also an extremely comfortable last. Everyone should have at least one pair.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoes on the Budapest last suffer from this affliction more than any other Vass shoes.

True, true, true. I've tried taking pictures from every angle - nothing flatters... Budapests look completely different in pics than they do in person.

I love them personally, though I prefer them for casual wear.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The alt wien model (I love the oxblood colour) is for me, Vass's signature shoe. It's stunning in person.

koji

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kai,

the shoes on the far left - is that oxblood?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drlj,

You mention that size 46 is the largest RTW that Vass makes. I'm not sure this is correct - - last Saturday in the store I tried on a pair of 47s (stamped 47 on the bottom) which they have in stock and for sale, and I discussed with the store getting shoes in size 46-1/2.

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
Is it possible to order shoes in a Budapest last in a narrow width -- like a 46B or 46C?

drljva

Reaction score
drlj,

You mention that size 46 is the largest RTW that Vass makes.  I'm not sure this is correct - - last Saturday in the store I tried on a pair of 47s (stamped 47 on the bottom) which they have in stock and for sale, and I discussed with the store getting shoes in size 46-1/2.
Thanks very much for the information. I'm delighted to hear that Vass makes a bigger RTW than 46; I was beginning to think that Vass was simply out of the question for me because of size...

Those Oxblood Alt Wiens that TimelessRider posted look amazing. That shoe in a 47 is probably what I'll order. :)

Cheers,

JV

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Something I forgot to address - the Budapest last is Vass' signature shoe, a resurrection of the traditional Austro-Hungarian style. So it has been around for a VERY long time...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it possible to order shoes in a Budapest last in a narrow width -- like a 46B or 46C?
Not for RTW. Each last comes in one width per size. Bespoke obviously allows more width flexibility.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kai,

the shoes on the far left - is that oxblood?
The shoes on the left are a very dark chocolate brown.  

I'm afraid that neither of the brown shoes in these photographs came out very true to life in terms of color.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ 09 Nov. 2004, 05:41) kai, the shoes on the far left - is that oxblood?
The shoes on the left are a very dark chocolate brown. Â I'm afraid that neither of the brown shoes in these photographs came out very true to life in terms of color.
These are swell shoes. I especially like the the two on the left. The wingtip especially; but also the plain toe with medallion stitching, which is shoe I'd buy -- and I haven't seen too many plain toe avec medallion to my taste. bravo. H

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding getting different width shoes, I was told this past weekend at the Sky Valet store in DC (which sells Vass) that RTW shoes aren't sized by separate widths -- that you basically have to pick the style you like, then figure out which last has a width that fits your feet (like Berluti, I think).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads