• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass shoes

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received two pair of Vass bespoke shoes today. They fit well and look wonderful. These are among the most beautiful shoes I've seen. I will post some pictures when I get home and can fire up the digital camera. I was particualarly gratified by the fit, as these shoes are on a completely different last than my original shoes, and the folks at Vass had to make a new last for these shoes, based on my original last, and my feed-back to them regarding fit.

These bespoke Vass shoes are so nice, I feel a bit silly for paying so much more for my bespoke Lobbs. I doubt I will purchase bespoke shoes anywhere else but Vass ever again.

For anyone who is considering a pair of Vass shoes (bespoke or RTW) go for it. You won't be sorry.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So let's see: I have to arrange a trip to Hong Kong to get a WW Chan suit, then a trip to Hungary to get some Vass bespokes...

I hope someone in my family has some frequent flier miles I can take advantage of.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice looking shoes. What are the lasts that they altered to make your shoes? The newer ones look like the U last, but I'm not sure about the older ones.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice looking shoes. What are the lasts that they altered to make your shoes? The newer ones look like the U last, but I'm not sure about the older ones.
When I was in Budapest, they measured my feet and subsequently made a custom last which was the last that the antiqued cognac Budapest shoe and the Black cordovan London shoe were made from.

Because the new shoes have a somewhat different fit, they had to make a custom U last for me, based on my original Budapest/London last.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I was in Budapest, they measured my feet and subsequently made a custom last which was the last that the antiqued cognac Budapest shoe and the Black cordovan London shoe were made from.
I thought that all of their custom lasts were based on existing stock lasts.

In any event, the model name for your new brown shoe is Oxford Medallion, and the model name for the new wingtips is Oxford Budapest.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Budapests are definitely based on the Budapest last, and the shell cordovan oxfords are probably based on the Peter or Banana lasts.

JohnMS

Reaction score
To Kai:

On your pictures of the Alden shoes, specifically the "three more Aldens", is the middle brown split toe the brown bison Adam Knott was selling?

And regarding the AF1, which color is more representative of the actual shoe, what Adam has on his website or the picture you have?

I'm interested in the AF1 and am curious. Thanks.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To Kai:

On your pictures of the Alden shoes, specifically the "three more Aldens", is the middle brown split toe the brown bison Adam Knott was selling?  

And regarding the AF1, which color is more representative of the actual shoe, what Adam has on his website or the picture you have?

I'm interested in the AF1 and am curious.  Thanks.
Yes, the brown shoe in the middle is Adam Knott's bison shoe. Sadly, it's no longer made. It's a great shoe.

Regarding the AF1 cordovan saddle shoe, I think that the Alden of Carmel website shows the color just a little bit more red than they are (at least compared with mine.) My picture is a pretty fair representation of the shoe, except perhaps that the contrast between the whiskey and mahogany colors is not quite as pronounced as in the picture, asn the mahogany came out a little dark in my picture.

If you are thinking about the AF1, you really should pick up a pair. One of the most beautiful pair of shoes I've ever seen.

JohnMS

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I saw those bison shoes when they went on sale and was tempted to pick up a pair. They look even better when worn a bit.

rayk

Reaction score
I suppose that this is as good a place to slip this in as anywhere. This ebay seller has three new copies of "Handmade Shoes for Men" by L. Vass available for $60 each. Â A bit steep perhaps, but for a book of limited availability, it's really not that bad. Â Also, it's a must read for anyone who is interested in the true art of the bespoke shoe.

shoefan

Reaction score
You can pick them up in new condition for $7 plus shipping on Amazon.com from used book dealers.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can pick them up in new condition for $7 plus shipping on Amazon.com from used book dealers.
I was just going to point that out. I just bought one, and, including international shipping, it'll cost me a whopping US$17.00...

rayk

Reaction score
I must have been searching for a copy during a dry spell, as Amzon and Amazon.uk were unable to find any available copies for several months.  In addition to Amazon, I tried perhaps a half dozen other book sellers who were also unable to accommodate my order.  A Harris and I eventually found copies available on Amazon.uk for $35 each (including shipping), but, at least in my case, they were unable to deliver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads