• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VASS Shoes, the Color...

Understatement

Reaction score

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a bit darker than antique cognac and has a bit more red in it. I don't own dark or red cognac so someone else will have to comment there.

Incitatus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Understatement
I would like to order vass shoes, but im not sure about the color as the pictures and defintions i found here already are not clear.
I would like to have this color
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/4516/eg_stowe.jpg
http://dandy356.wordpress.com/2008/0...-green-oundle/

Is cognac, antique cognac, dark or red cognac the best choice?

Maybe someone can show some pictures shot at day light without flashlight and describe the differences between the colors.

Thank you

Since those are not Vass shoes the Vass colours will never match entirely. Also Vass doesn't antique it's shoes

It is closest to Vass antique cognac, if you do some home made antiquing on a vass antique cognac it should look very very similar.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Antique cognac is the closest match.

Understatement

Reaction score
Thank you!!! So its gonna be antic cognac.. What about the size of the U lasts, i have an UK 8 in Alden Tassel Loafs, a UK 7 1/2 when a Shoe runs big and a UK 8 1/2 when the Shoe runs small.. what would you recommend?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of Vass Antique Cognac, I think the photo below is the best true-to-life color. It's definitely more of a chocolate brown compared the Edward Green photos. I love it though. It's very distinctive. I actually have a pair of Vass Chukka boots coming in that color this Fall.
p1030138ach0.jpg

Understatement

Reaction score
but this is definitely not the color im searching for and i see no similarities to the color on my photos.. could more people please say something to this.. I mean i thought antic cognac is the closest.. but if its as shown on the photo, normal cognac would be better for me..

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think dark cognac or one of the numbered cognacs are what you're looking for, if not plain cognac that you antique yourself. Antique cognac is more of a burgandy brown - not like the one you're looking for.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might also help. I haven't seen a Vass shoe that closely resembles the traditional English Chestnut. If anything Saddle Shell Cordovan might be the best bet. These photos are taken from Kolecho in the Vass Appreciation thread. Calf from left to right: Dark Brown, Antique Cognac, Dark Cognac, 6319 Cognac
Colourcalf.jpg
Shell from left to right: Whiskey, Dark Brown, Antique Cognac, Saddle
Colourshell.jpg
On second thought, 6125 Cognac might be the ideal choice. Aportnoy has a photo below where the shoes on the far left and the second in from the right are both 6125 Cognac.
sd018hq0.jpg

Understatement

Reaction score
But the member "Roger" posted: "Yes, the cognac shades can be a little confusing. However, here's how they look to me: the lightest is just called "Cognac"; then a little darker, there is "Antique (or "Antic") Cognac," which is fairly close to a middle brown shade with a slight hint of red; then there is "6125 Dark Cognac," which appears to be clearly darker than Antique Cognac, although not a really dark shade. It too has just a slight hint of red. " He said the antique Cognac is just a little darker than cognac and clearly brighter than dark cognac (6125). So how could 6125 be better as its even darker. Its really hard to judge from the photos as the flashlight may alter the appearance of the color
confused.gif
Originally Posted by Incitatus
if you do some home made antiquing on a vass antique cognac it should look very very similar.
What is meant by that.. How can i antique it myself? Isnt it then maybe better to order just cognac and antique it myself?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the 6125 Cognac in color, but juding from photos it seems to be the closest thing to the EG Chestnut color that Vass makes. I'd just look at all the photos above and see what looks best to you. There's always slight variations in color anyway so you're never going to be exact. "Close enough" is likely all you can really ask for. If you want that exact color of the EG Chestnut you'll have to go with buying a pair of EG's as opposed to Vass.

Originally Posted by Understatement
But the member "Roger" posted:

"Yes, the cognac shades can be a little confusing. However, here's how they look to me: the lightest is just called "Cognac"; then a little darker, there is "Antique (or "Antic") Cognac," which is fairly close to a middle brown shade with a slight hint of red; then there is "6125 Dark Cognac," which appears to be clearly darker than Antique Cognac, although not a really dark shade. It too has just a slight hint of red. "

He said the antique Cognac is just a little darker than cognac and clearly brighter than dark cognac (6125). So how could 6125 be better as its even darker. Its really hard to judge from the photos as the flashlight may alter the appearance of the color
confused.gif

What is meant by that.. How can i antique it myself? Isnt it then maybe better to order just cognac and antique it myself?

Incitatus

Reaction score
A great deal of our perception of colour depends on lighting. If you check my pics on page 61 of the vass Appreciation thread I adjusted the exposure and white balance to show as clearly as possible how I experience these colours, both antique cognac and 6125, in medium light. But it is always relative, in a dusky shadow antique cognac will look like the chocolate brown in the pic above in bright light it will look like this
vass2.jpg
Same colour, different lighting. The same will of course be true of the EG. Except for the fact that the antiqueing provides some contrast which allows our brain to equalize the colour perception a little. EDIT: this btw is the best Vass I have ever seen and will be part of my next order!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
VassGunter-1.jpg

i tihnk the one in the center is the closest to chestnut which is cognac, AC is too dark IRL and the other is too light

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are the antique cognac, museum chestnut, and 6319 cognac in the same light. Sorry, I have no idea why the image comes out sideways.

Understatement

Reaction score
Thank you very much! This is the JL Vale right? As far as i can judge from that photo, i wont be happy with antique calf.. Will contact vass for clarification on the colors..
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics