Vass shoes shipping costs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vc2000, Oct 2, 2004.

1. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

Gentlemen:

Can Vass shoes custom made be picked up at the store in Budapest to avoid delivery charges?  Also if I order several pairs (which I am going to do) are the shipping costs per pair of shoes or a one time charge?  Is part of the charge a customs fee?  If I recall the shipping charge was around 100 Euros?  Does that sound right or is my memory failing me?  I also apologize if this information appears elsewhere on the board - I tried to search but I am traveling and my slow modem/hotel dialup charges/my sanity didn't align.

Regards

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

last time I was there they specifically told me that they didn't ship, that they would only make customshoes if you would pick them up. that might only be for the custom, that might have changed (this was about 5 months ago). the cost of shipping shouldn't be that much a DHL of 10 kilos to hungary is less than 100 euro.

3. PHV

PHV Senior member

how much does a custom pair set you back?

4. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

They shipped mine to the US. On the U last, my pair was something like 125,000 - 135,000 Florints, including shipping. This was around $600 at the prevailing exchange rate of the time. This price also reflected a discount of around 10% for payment in cash. This price also included shoe trees, though the ones I received were sprung rather than the 3 piece variety I would have preferred; if you want the latter, I guess you should be specific.

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

That's an excellent deal.

koji

6. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is indeed, but don't forget the cost of a trip to Budapest.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

From what I've heard regarding the food and women, it's still a bargain. [​IMG] koji

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

thanks shoefan. was it your first pair with them, or did they already know you? I will be back sometime soon and maybe I'll order a pair if I don't have to set a date to pick them up

9. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

First pair. Â I had e-mailed in advance to set up an appointment, but that did not seem like a big deal. Â However, based on subsequent conversations with others, if you don't speak Hungarian you'll want to make sure Mr. Vass' daughter is there when you visit, as she speaks English while the other employees do not. Here are some thumbnail pics of my shoes -- click on them to see a larger image: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

Are those in the online catalogue? they are beautiful and I hate the Vass web site.

11. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Wonderful shoes. What last is that, banana, U? koji