• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VASS SHOES SARTORIAL EXCELLENCE PRICES

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What will the prices be after 3/8/05? I did not think the prices were a special offer. At least that is the impression Gabor gave me. Perhaps, he can weigh in on the pricing. If he had a sample in my size at the exhibit, I would have placed an order on Saturday. I don't want to buy a pair of MTO shoes only to find out the size is wrong or they are uncomfortable. That is not a good way to spend $650.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was "weighing in" for Gabor. A few members asked if they could still buy at those prices and Gabor, at my request, agreed to hold back sending in the master order from Sartorial Excellence for another day. That way, any orders which reach him before he sends the order to Hungary will be at the event pricing.

I do not know what regular prices are. I only know that A. Harris, West Coast rep for Vass, says these prices are much lower than usual. Oh ... I also know that I made sure my order is already in Gabor's hands.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhm... these prices were a LOT lower than normal. $650 for the ones I picked out is a major bargain - the handcrafting got me. (damn you Gabor, Damn you, Sir....) ...I saw $2000 shoes around the city on Sunday that were not nearly as well made. I think there is something like 25 hours worth of handwork in a pair of these??? It really is fascinating to see the demo shoes at various stages to see how they are made.

linux_pro

Reaction score
I would love to order a pair of these, but I have no idea how they fit, what they look like, or anything else. ??? And how do they make a shoe for you if you aren't available for sizing? Is this possible? I want to pick up a pair.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter what the deal is if the shoes you end up receiving do not fit properly.  I have never paid that much for a pair and my collection includes comparably (retail) priced shoes such as Lobb, EG, C&J Handgrade, Tanino Crisci, Peluso, among others.  Thus, I am leery about dropping that kind of money for a pair that I have tried on in the proper size.  Having spent a lot of time looking at the different lasts and styles, I know exactly what I want in what color, with which last, with which detailing.  Only thing I don't know is the size and that is the most crucial factor.  I will contact Gabor tomorrow to figure this out.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gabor offered certain prices at the show with permission from Mr. Vass. After requests from members, it was I who prevailed upon him to extend that deadline.

Gabor is an honorable person. As far as I (whose size was also unavailable) am aware, he will offer to get you a more appropriate size if the ones you receive are not appropriate.

Gabor Halmos

Reaction score
Thank you Alex. Anybody who attended the show and placed an order knows in case there is a problem, we will not leave them with an ill fitting pair. We had a similar special event at Louis Boston last year, where all the orders came back perfect. Vass Shoes

Smooth Jazz

Reaction score
Thank you Alex.
Anybody who attended the show and placed an order knows in case there is a problem, we will not leave them with an ill fitting pair. We had a similar special event at Louis Boston last year, where all the orders came back perfect.

Dear bry2000, I would appreciate, if you would ask me, before you start speculating on a public forum. We didn't push anybody who was not confident to buy.
For what its worth -- I special ordered a pair of Vass shoes from Gabor almost a year ago. He made it perfectly clear that if the shoes did not fit, he would take them back -- no questions asked. Gabor even called me later to verify that I was 100% happy with the shoes. Gabor is an absolute gentleman and I take him at his word that he will ensure you are completely happy with your shoes.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My poor wallet cannot take this punishment. I must restrain myself until the next convention. This makes me sad.
sad.gif

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Another vote of confidence for Gabor here. He has never used any high pressure tactics to get me to buy anything, and he is a perfect gentleman before, during, and especially after the transaction.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I realize that I'm late to the party here, but I'll second (or third or fourth or whatever) what everyone has been saying. Gabor is a perfect gentleman and is wonderful to do business with (and the same thing goes for A Harris, too); and Vass shoes are superlative products. The cheapest pair of shoes that you'll find in NYC that equals the quality of construction retails for $2600.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(JCusey) I realize that I'm late to the party here,
Darn right you're late to the party. Ignoring your posting duties to go off and play in New York perhaps?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics