• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vass Shoes Sample Sale!!

marc37

Reaction score
Marc, you should get the Vass book, Handmade Shoes for Men. I'm not a big fan of his styles, but the book is brilliant for describing how he makes shoes.

I thought you wanted some bespoke lasts made in your feet shape? These won't give you the bespoke shoe experience.....you should treat them as RTW. But for 400 bucks, you can get a lot of RTW.....
l've got the Vass book. Great pictures. My knowledge on shoe construction is still fuzzy though.

l want to get bespoke lasts but l can't get them made unless l travel over seas. 20 hours plane flight.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FFS, take the plunge and take the flight. Of course, I bet they'd come to you if you promised them 15,000 pounds of business -- that's how some Savile Row tailors arrange to go anywhere. But really, man, travel broadens the mind. Otherwise, can't you fly somewhere Lobb or whoever goes for fittings? Edward Green goes to Japan, and Lobb goes to the US (west coast too) if not Japan. Come on, man, fly a few hours and put your money where your mouth is.

chocoball

Reaction score
Marc, go to Japan....the flying time is a lot shorter than the kangaroo hop to Europe, and if you fly Jal or ANA, there's lots of cute stewies to oggle. Â
wow.gif
 Seriously, there seems to be a few good places in Tokyo/Osaka for bespoke shoes (ie., Guild of Crafts). I've never worn their work, so I'm assuming it's not quite the same standard as EG/JL/Missaro/Gatto bespoke, but if the Japanese collectors are crazy about Guild....they can't be too far off the mark. It'll cost you more than USD400 though.... Alternatively, you can come to Hong Kong too. The Cathay Pacific girls are good.. Â
smile.gif
 I'll take you down to Kow Hoo to have some lasts made. USD400 WILL get you a good pair of shoes there and they do a fitting too. Since they'll have your last forever, you can keep ordering by phone and fax. Oops. Sorry for kidnapping your thread, Andrew.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hell, marc, you could probably go to thos places by boat. I bet T4phage dares you to swim.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hell, marc, you could probably go to thos places by boat. Â I bet T4phage dares you to swim.
Egging me on are you RJ
tounge.gif
. Marc can't go by boat either, nor travel any distance in a car.... according to him he gets sick... the poor thing
dontgetit.gif
. At least that is what he said at Andy's. Chocoball, there is an even closer possibility for our master b8man, someone over at Andy's suggested he visit Singapore since the Lobb Paris fitter comes by once or twice a year.... Maybe you should read Marc37's earlier posts on SF and on Andy's (as marc_au) to get a better understanding of his personality.
wink.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(chocoball @ Feb. 01 2005,23:33) Marc, you should get the Vass book, Handmade Shoes for Men. I'm not a big fan of his styles, but the book is brilliant for describing how he makes shoes. I thought you wanted some bespoke lasts made in your feet shape? These won't give you the bespoke shoe experience.....you should treat them as RTW. But for 400 bucks, you can get a lot of RTW.....
l've got the Vass book. Great pictures. My knowledge on shoe construction is still fuzzy though. l want to get bespoke lasts but l can't get them made unless l travel over seas. 20 hours plane flight.
Marc, are you telling us that there are no bespoke shoemakers in Australia? How about these men that you posted on Andy's, you said that they made bespoke shoes: From Ask Andy, Marc posted a newspaper article From Ask Andy. Marc's list of bespoke shoemakers Questions: 1) How can they be bespoke shoemakers and not make a customer's last 2) Do you know what you are talking about Marc?
wink.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, Marc, I would advise you not to get into to serious an argument with T4phage (do you evenknow what that means?)  I don't like his old supervisor's political positions and have issues with some of his scientific acheivements (see earlier thread); but if he studied in that group and was successful afterwards, the likelhood is that he's no dumbass, and probably has terrifically honed data gathering skills to boot.

And your adherence to, um, alternative views with little credible evidence to back them up (I looked up the stuff just to see the deal) leads me to believe that in an intellectual debate, he would tear you limb from limb.  And you don't even have the arrogance of the I-bankers and selfmade businessmen to back you up.  Seriously marc, I think you're an odd duck, but bear you no ill will.  This is just friendly advice.

Grammar and spelling edits.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Thread officially hijacked- can we send it back???

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah well, as long as they keep bumping it to the top...
smile.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is the next Vass sample sale going to happen Sir Harris? Size 12-1/2D please.

Sprezzatura

Reaction score
A.Harris, beautifull shoes you've got there, is it correct that the pictured shoes are still available?

Louis

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andrew, whatever happened tot those tasty 3 eyelet oxfords, the Vass take on the Perrier?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Andrew, whatever happened tot those tasty 3 eyelet oxfords, the Vass take on the Perrier?
They're waiting in Budapest for you to pick them up.
devil.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can come to Hong Kong too. The Cathay Pacific girls are good.. Â
smile.gif
 I'll take you down to Kow Hoo to have some lasts made. USD400 WILL get you a good pair of shoes there and they do a fitting too. Since they'll have your last forever, you can keep ordering by phone and fax.
Do you have shoes from Kow Hoo? Â If so, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of them. Â I stopped by their shop while I was in Hong Kong for a 10-day trip and they said they couldn't do anything for me in that amount of time. dan

MPS

Reaction score
It's a pain *********** to order from Kow Hoo at a distance: I got them to make me a pair like this once, but they were very reluctant to do so. The last-maker is ancient, but he's very good indeed, and the shoe will fit perfectly. The quality is good, but not excellent (think Crockett and Jones). I've not seen Vass shoes in person, but I have no doubt that they are superior.

Edit: On the plus side, they will do any design you specify.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads